Author Topic: Advice on flooring please  (Read 1705 times)

Toni

• Not So New ...
Advice on flooring please
« on: July 16, 2007, 14:28:21 »
As I said before, I don't have chickens yet, I am researching and trying to find plans for the right house.
I plan on having an 8ft by 5ft run, over the house, which will be moved as and when needed. I was just wondering about bark chippings.
I have read that plenty of people use them once their grass has been destroyed. I was just wondering if I could put them on top of the grass? I would use them sparingly, so that the chickens can still get to the grass, but I was just wondering if doing that would lengthen the life of the grass, so that I wouldn't have to move the run so often, and give them something extra to scratch at?

Thanks
Toni

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Advice on flooring please
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 00:00:50 »
I think they'd just smother the grass.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 06:18:42 »
Once the chooks have scratched at the grass you will be left with bare soil and no grass will grow back whilst the chooks are on it, you will surprised how quickly your grass will go, when it rains it will get muddy and  the poo will sour the ground.

If you move the run to fresh ground every week or two the grass of course will return.

One thing you shouldnt put down is bark chippings as bark has a fungus that can cause respiratory problems in the chooks, especially when it gets wet.

You can use wood chips but they can be hard to get hold of, but keep an eye out for a tree surgeon working in your area or give them a call to see where they are working,  you can often collect chips for free from them.  When the wood chips start to break down they need replacing - my experience is every 3-4 months.

BUT putting chips down on your grass isnt ideal either as they will just be all over your garden.

You could make a permanent run and use either gravel or straw... or buy an electric fence kit which is more easily moveable and  probably ony a bit more expensive as a fixed run.

Toni

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 11:35:14 »
Wow, thanks for that! I'm grateful you replied beause I meant wood chippings, not bark (yeah right  ::) ) but had you not reminded me that could have been a disaster!

My plan was to move the run around often to try to help the grass recover and to make the chickens as happy and natural as possible, but  have heard of lots of people using wood chippings so just thought that it might offer some variation. I don't think I'll bother, seeing as they will be moved often enough.
I haven't really checked into electric fencing but I will now. Do you know if it's suitable even for a small run, about 8ft by 5ft?

Thanks again. You've been a great help.
Toni

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 13:34:09 »
forgot to say earlier the feather footed breeds are less likely to dig up your lawn as much as the non feathered type.

If you are def sticking to an 8 x 5 run then just go with the fixed run and get a house that is easy to move too - Ark type or something on wheels.

My covered run is 8ft x 8ft which was fine for 6 large hens but the house is impossible to move - i just use it as a feeding area now adn move it as the ground does sour up.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal