Author Topic: I seem to have killed my cherry tree  (Read 1384 times)

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
I seem to have killed my cherry tree
« on: July 16, 2007, 15:28:31 »
Said tree was about 8ft high, about 2" Diameter trunk. I planted it last year, and did not let it set fruit.
This year, I saw a tall thistle growing out of its anti-rabbit tube, so in the belief that Roundup did not attack through mature bark, and died on contact with the soil, I gave the thistle a squirt with a hand sprayer.
The thistle died - but so apparently has the tree. Firstly, all the fruit turned brown & fell off. Then all the leaves died, and I am presuming that the tree is dead.
I will probably cut it back, and leave it till next spring to see what happens, but I don't hold out much hope.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: I seem to have killed my cherry tree
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 15:32:23 »
I killed an apple tree in a similar way!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 15:35:55 »
I've strimmed a couple to death...
 :-[

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 19:18:29 »
You spray the plant, the napalm gets dragged into the roots, the roots die and the residual napalm gets released back into the soil.  If you must use those dreadful pesticides put a carrier bag over the plant you want to kill and very, very lightly spray the newer leaves.

You might want to consider keep cutting trickily placed weeds, gradually weakening them over time rather than using Agent Orange; these things don't degrade too well so you are saving up trouble.
Jack's in the Green.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 23:06:05 »
You spray the plant, the napalm gets dragged into the roots, the roots die and the residual napalm gets released back into the soil.  ....

Out of interest, and being very nit picky here, if napalm had been used it probably wouldnt have killed the tree.

I guess what may have happened is that the Roundup was absorbed via some suckers that may have been around the base of the cherry, or, maybe the bark was slightly damaged. Any slight crack that allows the chemicals to get into the tree is a hazard to the tree. It doesn't usually penetrate through brown hard bark.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:51:25 »
It can be taken up by the roots as well. My ex-husband treated weeds in the lawn near a lilac tree and nearly killed it (it was quite a big tree too). It's a shame things like bindweed don't die so easily.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 10:08:21 »
What a shame. My friend uses glyphosphate in his garden but paints it onto leaves rather than spraying. Either way, doesn't help you much now, horrible way to learn isn't it?
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal