Author Topic: shallots  (Read 1059 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
shallots
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:11:06 »
When are shallots meant to be ready to harvest? I planted mine in early March. They have grown brillantly and each set has 4-10 large onions. The plants started to yellow a bit in the leaves a month ago so I gave them a bit of a boost with fertiliser. They have started to yellow a bit again but the onions themselves look very healthy. I was just under the impression that they shouldn't be ready till September, but they look ready now to me! Would it be back idea to pull them up and let them dry?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: shallots
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:44:15 »
Sounds as though they are ready for lifting - while the weather is friendly.

I think that your first yellowing might have been the sign, & that fertilser - esp if high N - might not be helpful.

Had to lift ours before die-down because of nearby rust & rot. They won't be keepers, anyway - very 'necky'!

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:09:49 »
I’m with Tim, mine are yellowing and being blown over with the wind, I intend to lift them and dry them off this weekend if the weather permits.

Mine go for pickled onions, so don’t need to be keepers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 12:22:16 »
Mine came up today as the growth had completely died back.  Good sized shallots though with no apparent rot, probably 8 per bunch.  I'm afraid mine will all be turned into pickles.  :P

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:34:44 »
I need them for cooking year round!

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 13:26:18 »
Hi Sparkly,
Not on the subject, but where abouts in Manchester are you?  I'm off the A57 into Manchester, just in Denton, near Denton Golf Course.
Nice to see somebody local!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 15:00:09 »
Thanks for the great advice all. I think I will pick them this afternoon and make them in pickles! if i am gong to do this, am i ok to just pickle from from fresh without any drying?

newbies I am in Urmston, near the Trafford Centre

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 15:04:31 »
You are better off leaving your shallots until the tops have died back and then lifting them if they are healthy.I would dry them for a week or so before pickling but thats my personal choice.

You do whatever suits you.Its all trial and error until you get it right.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 16:43:02 »
Mine dried in the ground so will be salted tonight for pickling tomorrow.

I can't be bothered with the peeling Tim, and I don't grow enough for year round cooking and I certainly don't buy any alliums.  If the allotment can't provide it, we go without.  ;D

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 08:39:58 »
Mine are not ready to lift yet this year - a bit late, although the bulbs are bigger than last year.

Last year the weather was drier and they were lifted at the begining of July and plaited on 17th Jul as shown in the photo. More details on:-

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_shallots.html

This year I planted some on 25th April that were little ones left from last years crop and they make great spring onions!

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 20:51:06 »
My overwintered shallots picked themselves really - the ones in the middle of many of the bunches sort of popped out from the surrounding bulbs, so as the foliage had mostly died back I figured that meant they were ready to lift. 
Had three large ones sliced and caramelised with strips of chicken fried in them and then moistened/reduced with some home-made cider tonight for dins. 
Oh, and mashed Cara spuds too.  Luvverly. :-*

My spring planted shallots have a way to go yet.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal