Author Topic: hens  (Read 1946 times)

debster

• Hectare
hens
« on: July 07, 2007, 21:09:53 »
hubby would love us to keep  a couple of hens in the garden so just a couple of questions, are there any rules about keeping them, we live in a council house, is it right that in order to lay they dont need a cockrel? and are they very difficult to keep?

Miss Fenella

• Not So New ...
Re: hens
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 23:23:33 »
Thanks for posting this as I'm interested in any advice too.

As far as I know No thingy needed for eggs - unless you want chicks and council houses are usually OK with hens.

Breed, age, space needed etc would all interest me too if anyone has advice
the dandelion clocks won't strike......

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 07:09:50 »
Hens are pretty easy to keep but messy. They will scratch and dig your garden up and if in a pen will smell after a while, the smell of stale soil and chicken muck isn't very nice!  Unless you have a really big back garden it is difficult. They can be noisy too and i recently inherited Woody's chooks because of the neighbours and the noise.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 00:14:16 »
No more diffilcult than any other pet to be honest.
They need fresh food and water daily and be wormed twice a year.
Do have a word with your neighbroughs and ask if they mind most say ok as they see they may get fresh eggs.
You can get the small arks which can be moved around the garden or build your own lot cheeper.
 Fixed house and run which I have,  mine are on soil which I dig over weekly and change the soil 2/3 times a year works for me.
Some have paving slabs with wood chips in the run, they change the woodchips and hose down the slabs.
You only need a man? if you want babies but they are noisy, hens only make a noise when they have laid a egg .
Like OO says they do dig up the garden if let out,
I think I read somewhere a hen needs 1 square meter per bird enough to flap its wings this includeds run and house.
Breed depends on colour of egg you want and how many eggs per year. different breeds lay from 100-300 roughly per year and from bantums to large fowl. Have a look on ebay under hatching eggs some sellers give good write ups on the hens lots of info and photos.
Point of lay hens are the most expensive but are about 18-20 weeks old you can get younger ones cheeper.
If you get hens get 3 or more they are a flock bird and do better in a group.
Not all vets know about hens( which can be expensive) so read up on basic illness.
Good luck

Beetroot

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 01:03:31 »
Good sound advice there, regarding hens. If you have the space to let them wander about a bit, they will do better than being cooped up (that's where the expression comes from.) They are more prone to illness and mites and things like scaly leg if kept confined. Even if you could let them out say every other day, they would do well. Plenty of fresh water should always available. Try a spot of cider vinegar in the water. Keeps all sorts of nasty things at bay!
At least three hens together is a good number as they like to be a little flock. They put themselves away once the light begins to fade. Just remember to be vigilant about closing the door or pop-hole because they are a target for urban foxes, of course.
Welsomers are one of my favourites for small-scale egg productiion. Beautiful plumage and they lay brick-red coloured large eggs.
Good luck!

Miss Fenella

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 23:57:33 »
Thanks for some wonderful advice.  I think we may get 3 and see how we get on is there a better time of year to buy them - for their benefit not mine I mean.
the dandelion clocks won't strike......

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 00:25:39 »
Your welcome, me I would not buy hens in winter, eggs are less due to lack of daylight hours and I like to get to know them spend time with them like you would a cat or dog. Then if one is under the weather you have a chance to treat it before it gets serious.
Easter time everyone wants hens and prices can be high.
As Beetroot says apple cider viniger is great acts like a detox and cleanses the system put in the water for 3 days once a month keeps a hen in top condition.
Look for a hen with bright clean clear eyes, good clean feathers, no discharge from nose, clean bum and the leg scales should be smooth.
The comb should be a bright pink to red ( red on fire means very close to lay) and lively.
Be warned they become additive.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal