Author Topic: Japanese Anemone  (Read 13496 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Japanese Anemone
« on: July 09, 2007, 10:14:28 »
This plant is currently trying my patience! I love the flowers on it and it is a usefull late flowering perennial. However it seems to have designs on world domination, or at least garden domination.

We started off with one old clump which we inherited when we moved in. It was well behaved until the day we removed a hedge that was next to it. It then decided to explore and we ended up with a hedge of anemone instead of the lonicera nitida hedge we had removed! This was fine for a few years but this spring I decided enough was enough and it had to go as it was smothering anything else planted nearby. So i dug it all up as best i could removing as much root as i could find. The area was then planted up with spring bedding and looked nice. Until slowly but surely the anemone came back and worse over a larger area than before. So more digging and clearing followed. But yet again like the most pernicious of 'true' weeds it returned yet again. This time i snapped. I dont like using chemicals in the garden but I could see no other way of getting rid of this pest. So yesterday I was out with the sprayer in the hope that this would finaly get the better of it.

I have 3 other clumps of this plant in the garden. These generaly are staying put in one place, although one clump is showing signs of spreading, although not to the degree of the original plant. I guess its when you disturb the roots or try to dig it up that the problems arise.

Have any of you had similar problems with this plant?

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Japanese Anemone
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 10:28:56 »
Don't worry, it survives the lawn mower and Roundup for the last 3 years!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 10:42:00 »
Don't worry, it survives the lawn mower and Roundup for the last 3 years!

So it will take me 3 years to get rid of it with weedkiller then? Great!!

Better start digging again!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 16:44:52 »
 ;D I have planted it for that very reason in my front garden.  Quite happy for it to take over a rather weedy narrow little strip where nothing much, other than weeds, grows.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 17:17:21 »
Someone once told me that it was hard to propagate ::)

However they believed that I just don't know :-\

I've a clump which has spread its roots under a concrete garden path & popped up on the other side. Actually wouldn't mind so much as it is a stately plant and doesn't need staking, but it's lilac coloured and I only like the white one......

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 21:33:18 »
EEEEK have just put a small bit in my cottage garden.....................maybe I should move it before it has puts its roots down!!
Pretty flowers though...................................
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 21:52:22 »
I'm 100% with GA. It's a wicked thing - worse than most weeds - heavily into world domination. I've been trying to kill mine for eight years. It's taken over a whole flower bed - (it's now growing amongst things I really love so I can't spray it to death) - and even coming up through the gravel where my lawn used to be.  :o

Doris - for goodness' sake pull the wretched thing up and murder it while you have the chance - before it takes over your whole garden - (and then the world). x

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 22:35:06 »
Yes mine is going for world domination and, although I like it, I think it now has to go.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 21:27:25 »
Oh no! I really like it.!

I've tried it twice in my garden and it's disappeared without a trace both times.

I was tempted to ask you for root cuttings, but as you believe it to be the devil's work, you might not want to!

anyway, I'm leaving my allotment next year, so shouldnt be investing in perennials.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 23:16:05 »
Righty ho, tomorrow its moving to the front garden where its welcome to take over and dominate the marestail! ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 01:13:38 »
Mine is just as badly behaved, and didn't need root disturbance to start spreading. So it was dug up and transferred to a large pot - let's see it get out of that!  ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 12:28:52 »
I think I have finaly got rid of a s much as I can find by deep digging. Anything left will just get pulled up as they appear, and hopefully this will weaken it enough to get rid of it entirely (apart from the big, very old  clump in the corner from whence the invasion came. This plant was there when we took over the garden and I havent the heart to get rid of it. Will just have to be firm and stop it spreading again.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 14:58:59 »
Never had a bit a trouble with mine, apart from i cannot get the white forms to grow. ???

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 23:42:56 »
mines the basic pink one. Its looking like the other clumps have world domination plans too. A bit of thinning is requred or I will have nothing but anemone in those areas too!

I do like the white one though, but dont grow it. I wonder if it is not quite as invasive as the pink forms?

If anyone knows otherwise could you let us all know.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 23:56:08 »
I have the white form in the front garden, it too has survived earthworks on a grand scale ::) Initially I tried to transplant a lump to the back garden, and it didn't survive. Looks like I had a lucky escape........
Smile, it confuses people.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 12:53:05 »
I love them too. My Dad has problems trying to stop it taking over (on heavy acid clay) yet on my light alkaline (plus years of added topsoil and compost) soil, they have proven to be shy growers.

This year, to my delight, I've got flowers on both the white and pink ones. And since I turned the rest of the bed into a mini-Japan garden (with acers and pond) they seem most appropriate! At the moment they're competing with the adjacent Michaelmas daisies.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 13:53:40 »
Friends called in thismorning and want to swap some pink for my white ;D
Take some, oh take some....

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 22:25:46 »
I thought they liked light sandy soils best, and spread most on these soils and stayed more in one place on heavier soils.

Strange!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 23:57:32 »
If anyone has any white to spare i would love some please.  Rosebud.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 07:53:47 »
Pming you Rosebud.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal