Author Topic: Will they won't they?  (Read 1370 times)

queenfishface

• Not So New ...
Will they won't they?
« on: July 08, 2007, 21:59:47 »
Does anyone know about blackbirds? Our resident, Sam, spent months singing his little heart out (from very early morning until after dark) and a lady blackbird, Nina, has been around (and doing a lot of preening) for weeks now. I've been looking forward to seeing fledglings but no sign. How will I know if they are getting it together? or is it a "no committments" relationship.

Toadspawn

• Acre
Re: Will they won't they?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 23:21:50 »
If they were going to pair up, mate and raise a brood or two or three they would have started in March with the first brood and by now they could be well into their third brood. If they had bred previously you should have seen the fledgling blackbirds around .  I guess this year they have a 'platonic' relationship in your garden. Maybe they have mates in another garden.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 23:32:24 »
I agree with Toadspawn.  The Blackbirds are now starting their moult and gone their seperate ways more or less with the young blackbirds fending for themselves.  Its around now they stop singing as well.

queenfishface

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 18:36:49 »
Shame about that. They have gone quite a bit quieter. I haven't lived here long, I'm assuming that this is 'his' patch and he'll stay. Perhaps both of they will stay.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal