Author Topic: Olive tree in flower....  (Read 2222 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Olive tree in flower....
« on: June 11, 2004, 23:21:12 »
.... what do you think the chances are of getting any olives?  The tree is still only small, about 4 foot tall, but smothered in tiny white flowers.  Should I be providing it with any special care?

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Olive tree in flower....
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 13:51:57 »
Hi e.j. mine is in flower too,all covered with white flowerts.They smell sweet,last year i had some olives,but they never ripened properly.I think that the summer is to short to get real olives,mayby in a greenhouse.Mine is standing in the garden,they are hardy enough and can take some rough wetter in winter time.I have read somewere that olivetrees need a period of cold wetter to bloom.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 14:55:49 »
Aha, okay then.  I may be in luck as my olive moves into my greenhouse about mid october time, along with my other tender plants.  I have a little fig tree also, and because I move it into the greenhouse I do get delicious sweet figs, not huge, but big enough to enjoy.  You never know, I maybe harvesting an olive or 2 later in the year!  ;D

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 00:01:06 »
There's a bit more to it than that though!

Once saw fresh ripe olives, in a Cambridge market I think.  What could be better?  Fresh, unadulterated, straight from the olive tree?

Just about anything imaginable!!!!!!!!!  Hard and bitter, bitter, bitter.  There's some way of processing them to make them edible - but I don't know what it is (sorry :()

All best - Gavin

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 22:36:49 »
Awww Gavin!  There's always one huh!  ;)  Just to get the fruit on the tree will be marvelous.  If I do, I shall investigate what I should do with them.  :D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 09:37:22 »
My olive tree must be a bit ahead of yours - it's covered in tiny olives.

I only got it for christmas, but it did have one black olive on it.

Remember that green olives are just unripe black olives, so they don't have to ripen for you to eat them.

I must research what it is you have to do to make them edible. Or does anyone know?
gone to pot :D

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 19:59:27 »
How about
http://www.oliveaustralia.aust.com/Pickling_your_Olives/pickling_your_olives.html, and
http://www.fincaforum.com/ff-picklingolives.htm?

That was stupid of me - raise the issue, and THEN go off to find out more!  Not at all sure I wanted to know some of these recipes!  :P :P :P

All best - Gavin

Hey, but if you manage to do it, I'm coming to see you!  Love olives!  :)

Ragged Robin

• Acre
  • Slugs and snails .....be afraid.... be very afraid
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 21:14:44 »
Hey..mines in flower....had one olive last yr....the squirrel got it !
Live in hope for more this yr !
Happy gardening, Robin x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal