Author Topic: sorry leeks again  (Read 6846 times)

debster

• Hectare
sorry leeks again
« on: July 06, 2007, 10:58:56 »
Gonna bite the bullet and plant my leeks out in the next day or two. can I just clarify I need to dib a hole then water the leek into it I understand that but what Im unsure of is how much of the leek goes into the hole they are about 8 inches long so how much of this would i put in the dibbed hole? sorry to ask but dont want to do it all wrong
and Thank you  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: sorry leeks again
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 11:13:40 »
I will ask two questions first;

1) What variety are they?

2) What sort/size of pot/module are they growing in now.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 11:59:59 »
They are Winter Atlanta Organic and are in a seed tray

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 12:11:38 »
Then dibble them in to leave 40-50% of plant above ground.

If you have not done it before it is simpler to dibble a line of holes first, tease out a clump of leeks from the tray, select the biggest, place them individually in the holes, then water them in after you have planted a full row.

Repeat this process row after row until finished!

This beats forming one hole, selecting one seedling and watering it in.(less tedious)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 13:00:29 »
thank you Tee Gee you are an absolute diamond will be doing so asap

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 18:23:44 »
Why the bit above ground TG?

Just nosey.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:29:29 »

Why the bit above ground TG?

Photosynthesis!!  I have never understood why people are advised to cut down tops & roots, doesn't make sense to me!I always think it checks the plants growth twice. Once when you move them and twice when you cut them back.

Chances are even doing it my way, the tips will probably die off anyway, so if I am right it doesn't matter in the long run.

But at least my way the leeks have established themselves before it happens.

So its just an opinion and as gardening is not an exact science I suppose if you do something and it works then thats all you can ask of yourself.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 11:15:51 »
So true, TG - that's why mine start at the bottom of the hole. Never compared one way with t'other.

Archie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 14:08:36 »
Bought some yesterday, Debster......£2.50 per 100, thick pencil size.
Shared them with neighbours, one cut off the tops, left the roots.
I cut off the roots and left the tops . Clay Jones he of GW wasn't a believer of cutting the roots.
My new neighbour and new to gardening, cut off the roots and cut off the top. ;)
Any way they are a good crop to grow, no diseases that I know of, no trouble.
Come just at the right time.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 14:40:44 »
well mine are planted with some spares left in the seed tray just in case, dibbed and watered them in left approx half of each plant out of ground so lets watch and see

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 15:44:20 »
The only reason to trim leeks at both ends is to make them easier to manage when you plant them.

I usually do this when my leeks are about 8" long and preferably pencil thin although thats not always the case.

I use the dibber to make a hole and then drop the leek in and fill the hole with water.I drop the leek plant in to just below the bottom leaf.

When they are large enough I put some pipe over to help with the blanching.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Archie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 17:11:50 »
Not sure if they respond to feeding, e.g. with Growmore pellets. Would
burn the roots if popped in there so maybe another hole alongside or as I did
with my parsnips this year, push in a strong fork each side then dribble and water in the
granules. Have a parsnip hedge now. 8)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 17:59:41 »
There are leeks and there are leeks and each have they own method of growing.

I was brought up here in the north to think in terms of basically two types of leeks namely; Pot leeks and Blanch leeks and the method of growing these is different to what most gardening books seem to give.

Blanch leeks are sometimes split into two categories (Blanch & Intermediate) subject to length.

For exhibition purposes leeks are divided into three categories: ;

Pot not more than 6 in (15 cm) from base to button.

n.b. the 'button' is the 'V' formed by the first two leaves (flags) above the base.

In judging terms;

Meritorious leeks; are firm solid heavy leeks with unbroken clean un­blemished skins, that are uniform in size, have straight barrels and fresh coloured foliage.

Defective leeks; may be soft, thin, split buttons, too long-shafted i.e. over 6"(15cm). There may be evidence of seed heads, disease, mechanical damage and malformation.

Note: The National Pot Leek Society give additional points for vol­ume or cubic capacity measured on volume of blanched shaft to tight 6 in (15 cm) button (i.e. from basal plate to lowest unbroken leaf, including the veil where present and around the barrel).
One point for every 10 cu in (164 cu cm) and decimal point for part of 10 to a present maximum of 20 points or 200 cu in (3277 cu cm).
Tables for the calculation of cubic capacity are obtainable from the Secretary of the National Pot Leek Society.

Intermediate not less than 6 in (15 cm) and not more than 14 in (35 cm) from base to button.

Blanch more than 14 in (35 cm) from base to button.

n.b. the 'button' is the 'V' formed by the first two leaves (flags) above the base.

In judging terms;

Meritorious leeks; are solid, thick, long-shafted, well-blanched leeks, tight-collared with clean, spotless skins and no tendency to bulbing.

Defective Leeks; can be soft, thin, tapering, short-shafted, imperfect­ly blanched, discoloured or bulbous.

So as you see the type/s most people grow doesn't fit into the above, so for comparisons sake I think I will invent a new term and call the dibbled types 'culinary leeks' this is not to say that you can't eat Pot & blanch leeks indeed you can.

Cultivation;

Culinary leeks; These as mentioned are dibbled into the ground for one reason only and that is to blanch them, theoretically the deeper they are the more they are blanched.

So one could say that it is quite possible to meet the above criteria at least for the 'pot leek' category

Having said that their diameter can be somewhat restricted depending upon the soil they are planted in, i.e in light soils they may of a greater diameter than say those grown in a heavy clay soil.

Plus you would have difficulty growing them to a uniform 6" (15cm)

Pot, Blanch and intermediate types are generally grown in beds specially prepared for them with copious amounts of humus making material added.

After germination they are pricked out at the 'crook' stage into 3" pots and grown on quite often under heat until they are ready for planting out.

Crook stage is seen as a natural bend in the leading seed leaf reminicent of a shepherds crook.

At planting out time they are planted out to the same level as they were in the pot, i.e. they are not sunk into the ground, and the leaves are not cut/trimmed.

As they are grown each pair of leaves on the pot leeks are supported to ensure that they don't crack/kink.

Blanch leeks are grown in pipes preferably earthen ware as these don't sweat as much as plastic and the leaves are also supported.

The plants are never allowed to dry out and are always well fed very often with the growers own recipe.

So now do you see why I don't grow my leeks like the 'gardening books' say?

The following pictures should give you a better idea of what I have tried to describe.

Pricked out;

Culinary leeks;

Pot leeks;

Blanch leeks;

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 18:09:01 »
Goodly show!

What's the merit of Pot Leeks, TG?

Do they have proportionately as much blanched stem? Not that I'm one for only eating the white bit.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 18:21:33 »
It is feasible to have a greater volume of blanched leek in a 6" pot leek as as a 14"+ blanch leek.

A 14" leek with a diameter of say 1.5" has a blanched volume of around 25cu inches whereas a pot leek with a diameter of 2.5" has around 30 cu inches

As I said there is a greater possibility of having larger leeks grown above ground than dibbled in.

When you look at what the Leek society caters (200cu inches) for you can have some b****y big leeks.

vol­ume or cubic capacity measured on volume of blanched shaft to tight 6 in (15 cm) button (i.e. from basal plate to lowest unbroken leaf, including the veil where present and around the barrel).
One point for every 10 cu in (164 cu cm) and decimal point for part of 10 to a present maximum of 20 points or 200 cu in (3277 cu cm).

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 18:59:17 »
Thank you Sir!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal