Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 1897 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
What is it?
« on: June 11, 2004, 19:26:07 »
Went to the garden centre today and bought the following:

Papaver orientale Patty's Plum - oriental poppy
Lupin - The Govenor
Dwarf French Beans - Tendergreen
and..... also this (see picture) which had no name and was last one on shelf. Does anyone know what it is?

Any advice or comments on all the abovementioned plants would be welcome as they are all new to me.

Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

jethro

Re:What is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 19:39:28 »
Not sure but it looks like a Candelabra Primula? but as always i will be proved wrong  ;D  :-\ .

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 21:09:01 »
Exactly correct Jethro, Primula japonica type. Needs a nice moist soil in sun or dappled shade, prefers a situation where the air is moist too, like western Scotland ;D
Papaver orientale hybrids are dead easy grow anywhere plants. When they have finished flowering cut down the foliage like one is supposed to  do with geraniums and it will regrow strongly. Plant something later flowering to fill the gap.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 00:19:06 »
Phew, was my first reaction too!  Looking at leaves, glad to be in the majority!
Muddy Boots

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 08:05:28 »
Thanks for that. I've got it in full sun so hope it doesn't get too hot. My soil is clay (with lots of organic matter) so think the soil conditions should be okay, stays moist for long.

The poppy - I hope it's dead easy to grow, you're talking to someone who manages to kill mint which other people regard as an invasive weed!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal