Author Topic: Container grown potatoes  (Read 2829 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Container grown potatoes
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 11:24:37 »
JRP, your scientific knowledge is alarmingly poor. You also appear to live in some type of delusional fantasy that you can save the world and be some kind of Messiah figure.

You show contempt for the creators of posts by intentionally changing the discussion to a completely unrelated topic which as I see it puts you in breach of the T&C's of usage.

You are the only person on this entire forum who manages to annoy me, so I hope that gives you some satisfaction.

Moonfruit? Fruitloop more like.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 11:35:18 »
Soozie, back to your question which I originally came on here to read. I have a huge big deep box, 4 feet x 30 inches and about 11 inches deep, but any kind of big box would do.

I put all my spent potting soil in it,give is a bit of grub with chicken pelletts and I use it through the winter in my greenhouse to grow salad veggies, it works very well, I just harvest the greens when the height I weant and they keep coming back.

Picture below, taken in Feb or  March this year

XX Jeannine

Sorry didn't mean to put on twice. The cage is to keep the cat out by the way after I move it outside
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 11:42:48 »
Just harvested some potatoes from a tub. Can I reuse the compost with the addition of some chicken pellets ??? ???

Thanks

Good idea to get back on topic.  We grew our potatoes this year in builders bags about one third filled with compost.  We're re-using the compost without problems, although not for more spuds.  We've just added a little Growmore to it. It will eventually be put onto the raised beds.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 22:11:09 »
 >:(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 00:30:11 »
Never tried container spuds before. My only real success in cotainer growing is carrots.

(Hey, Cornykev - nice photo.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 00:44:25 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 07:09:59 »
Cholera is passed by fecal contaminated drinking water Robert...
Am I wrong or was flooding one of the main reasons for settling and farming along rivers like the Nile???
 ???

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 09:40:35 »
If all  the land on our lotties  was contaminated and we  were going to put all these containers on as suggested ..What do we fill them with as in growing medium .Fresh air.?..
I prefer my lottie to look reasonable I don't want to create my own dump it site ,,
As to original thread . Blood fish and bone will re-liven your compost up as previously stated ..The advantage of this is that it is slow releasing so lasts longer in your compost..

Cheers .. Jim

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 10:12:23 »
Cholera is passed by fecal contaminated drinking water Robert...
Am I wrong or was flooding one of the main reasons for settling and farming along rivers like the Nile???
 ???

Of course it is, but it doesn't lead to long-term contamination. It was originally endemic to the Ganges Basin, and only spread round the world in colonial times.You're perfectly correct about the Nile, and there are a lot of problems now as a result of ill-thought out irrigation schemes around the Aswan Dam, combined with the loss of the flooding. As far as I know, it's the only case where farming was explicitly dependent on annual flooding, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:25:23 by Robert_Brenchley »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 21:51:44 »
I thought you would like it KT. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal