Author Topic: House!  (Read 4250 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
House!
« on: July 06, 2007, 18:23:02 »
Putting some photos on requested by peeps on the 'Guess What It is Yet' thread :)

I LOVE my house  ;D I even put an offer in for it before seeing it (no photos on the Estate Agent's website)

It's a late Georgian cottage (built in 1809) in the middle of a wilderness of Victorian-built houses and trees so that no-one can actually see it from the road. Half a mile from the city centre and in a 'rough area' - but you wouldn't know it!

No-one can find my house. It's so well-hidden. It's in an area that is of really significant historical interest and there are loads of photos on a history website that get within an INCH of photographing my house, but it just doesn't happen!

Me and my house are INVISIBLE! HOORAY! Haven't had the electric/gas metres read for at least 10 yrs and I rarely have visitors.

I bought the house from a Mr. A: People who knew him used to call him the Colonel. Apparently he always dressed impecably, complete with bowler hat and suit. He had lived in it from 1944 and didn't do any improvements to it at all. I went to view the house eventually and it was STUFFED with antiques and lovely things. After I'd bought the house though, neighbours told me that the son had burnt all the contents of the house in the back yard :( ARGGHHHHHH!

Mr. A, however, left a lovely codacil to the sale of the house: It must go to a family with children and it must be a closed bid. That was me!

Most of the original features have been preserved - fireplaces, wood floors, cupboards with keys, front doors, victorian wash-house etc.

I did have to do away with a walk-in pantry (with meat hooks etc) after I'd been living in the house for 5 yrs. The kitchen was only 2m's square and I needed to extend it and incorporate coal sheds and outside toilet. It was a shame though :(

Anyway, I'll shut up now!

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: House!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 18:28:59 »
thought it was bingo, trixie.. ;D ;D
and where are the photos ?

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 18:31:51 »
Front of the house which is really the back! Hall window, My bedroom window and the 'other' bedroom window

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 18:34:26 »
those window shapes are brilliant, they really knew how to make things attractive back then..no wonder you love it  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 18:40:30 »
More please!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 18:46:31 »
Under that wisteria is a Victorian wash-house. There's a fireplace and a big brass boiler over the top.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 18:47:36 »
?

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 20:21:39 »
Yes, more please! It looks such a 'happy' house! I LOVE IT!  :) :) :) :) - and I bet Alfie does too!  :-*

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 21:16:57 »
Waiting for more with eager anticipation..... :).It's beautiful so far.
Smile, it confuses people.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 22:57:51 »
More photos.  Not fair to wet our appetite like that .........why not put them in your gallery, its really easy to do.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 22:59:15 »
You lucky lucky duck.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 08:05:57 »

Yay! It worked! The washhouse!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 08:11:27 »
Window at top of the stairs

This geezer guards the joint

This geezer thinks she owns the joint

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 08:18:47 »
The back of the house which is really the front

The front door in daylight. I ... erm ... ran out of green paint!

The ginnel which runs up the side of the house into the back/front yard

Me in the front garden taking a pic of the living room

Back door knocker!

In keeping with the Georgian 'feel' of the place, the motorised glitter ball hanging in the porch over the back door!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 08:32:55 »
Unfortunately there are limited pictures of the inside of the house. I did take some but was APPALLED at the mess  ::)  Will take some when I've tidied up a bit.

Meanwhile: The front door from the inside

Messy kitchen! This part of it used to be the coal shed.

Original fireplaces in the bedrooms (working!) Figures of Egyptian ladies on either side which was typical for the era it was built.

The entire house is STUFFED full of treasures I've either inherited, got from car boot sales or nicked of skips!

Albino squirrel holding a pine cone. Note the film of dust on the glass dome surface!

Baby stuffed aligator (car boot £5) on top of victorian fish-tank on top of the piano. That's an oil painting of me when I was 2 on the left! When the piano is played, the geezer that guards the joint sings along! Completely out of tune though... both the dog and the piano.

THAT'S ALL FOLKS! OFF TO TIDY UP ... I MAY BE SOME TIME  ;D

And Manics, yes, it is a happy house! We had a ghostie here before I had any building work done and it used to slam doors shut if anyone was having an argument. Gone now though  :-[

Jeannine! It's an English greyhound!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 08:56:04 »
The front of the house was extended at some point to incorporate bay windows downstairs. But originally, I think the windows were the same as upstairs as I found two lintels in the garden that were exactly the same size as upstairs.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 09:10:03 »
It looks like a really fun place to live. Must entail huge amounts of dusting though.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 09:11:47 »
Now then ma duck was wondering why we had not heard from Seintionsquirrel !! did ya fallout at the plot and now she sits on top of ya piano?!. :o      ;D

p.s. it's a littel known fact that glitter balls will and do get rid of ghosts. ::)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 09:15:47 »
Looking at your collection of treasures Trixie which are smashing I have something that I think would fit right in there with alligator etc and it yours if you want it. I have a huge tortoiseshell, creature long departed but the shell is lovely, I rescued i it years ago when someone who was chucking it out and have had it here wondering what to do with it. Can you give it a home?XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 09:31:18 »
Trixiebelle. Wow what an interesting house, just loved looking at your photos. That would be a dream house for my eldest daughter. One of my nephew's who lives in Cliffe has got a property of 2 wooden cottages made in to one. Lovely old door latches etc. So lovely to see originals.
BTW my son would love the "geezer" on guard. He is a GS nutcase. Infact Geezer is very much like his Shelby.
Thanks for taking the time to show us photos.
Lorna.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal