Author Topic: Brassica problem  (Read 1131 times)

Rose.mary

• Acre
Brassica problem
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:07:44 »
Please could somebody tell me what my brassicas are lacking or have too much of?
The leaves are withered at the ends and have a lilac tip. They don't seem to be developing as they should. They had plenty of lime and also some Q4 when planted.
I never seem to get all of my brassicas to grow properly,I have some success but also a lot of failures.
Last year I lost most of them to cabbage root fly, so this year I put collars on and they haven't had that problem  but now it is something else. ::)

Rosemary

PS It seems to be mostly my sprouts. R

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Brassica problem
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:17:24 »
My guess is they are cold & wet is it surprising this weather?

Providing your ground is free draining all should be OK

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:32:41 »
You are an angel for replying but I don't think it is the wet weather. My ground is quite good drainage and it is not every one of the leaves or brassicas. Calabese and PSB don't seem to be affected. My Hispi cabbage have not been affected either. I think it must be something I have done or not done. I must say I have mothered them this year with me loosing such a lot last year. Also I have clubroot so I have put a lot of lime on them.
Nobody elses brassicas are showing the same problem.

Rosemary 

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 17:42:33 »
Check them for biddies, whitefly or aphids had the same problem sprayed with bug clear dead biddies no more problem.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 17:45:49 »
Colonies of mealy aphids on the underside of the discoloured leaves?
 ???

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 17:57:07 »
I find caulis tend to take on a purple tinge if they are heat stressed XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 18:11:42 »
Beat me to it, Dad! Had it on a whole row of Sprouts.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 19:20:44 »
No bugs of any sort I have been spraying with insecticidal soap and it seems to have done the trick. I don't think I have overdone the spraying so it can't be that. It looks like I have ironed it with a hot iron and the edges have just gone lilac. I doubt it has been too warm for them. I haven't raised a sweat on the allotment this summer.
I will go down to the plot tomorrow and take a photo' and try to put it on here for you to see.
I had thought it could be magnesium shortage and so I sprayed with Epsom Salts but it does not seem any better.

Rosemary

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 16:28:43 »
Three of my round cabbages have a simmilar problem but are now entirely lilac and much smaller than their siblings (both round & pointed).  The perplexing thing is that they are the only 3 cabbages in the entire brassica bed looking like this, everything else is healthy, green, hearting up etc.

The bed is mulched, each plant had a handful of lime in the bottom of the hole before planting and were allowed to establish before the mulch was drawn back around them.

Any ideas?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal