Author Topic: Hull news  (Read 7371 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Hull news
« on: July 05, 2007, 13:22:27 »
Flood-ravaged Hull 'a forgotten city'
 Hull is a "forgotten city" and needs urgent help as hundreds remain homeless after the devastating floods, a council leader has claimed.

Carl Minns, the leader of Hull City Council, has slammed the lack of attention the city has received compared with other areas and called on the Government for urgent help as the cost of the damage is estimated at as much as £200 million.

Many residents of the 10,500 properties evacuated in the city may not be able to return home for up to a year. Around 17,000 homes have damage ranging from waterlogged gardens to belongings floating in 4ft of water.

He said: "We are the forgotten city in this disaster. Hull has been more affected than all of South Yorkshire put together by these floods. Hull has been the hardest hit - what we are dealing with is a disaster."

"What we have in Sheffield and Doncaster is terrible and my heartfelt sympathy goes out to those people. But their problems have been fairly localised, whereas ours is spread right across the city. Hull also needs help.

"We are starting to rebuild but the city won't recover for around two years. The Government needs to help this city with a large injection of capital, otherwise this city will not recover."

He added: "Quite frankly if this was Chelsea or Fulham, this would have been plastered over the front pages for weeks."

Many people have been forced to stay with friends and relatives, sleeping on the floor or in caravans, or forced to live in hotels, he said.

About 1,500 volunteers and council staff are on a fact-finding mission on Thursday to survey damaged properties and find out how residents' needs can be met.

The council has already diverted £18 million from a home improvement programme for use in repairing flood-damaged homes.

A Flood Hardship Fund has also been launched, but Mr Minns said more money is needed. Insurance companies have told some people they will have to stay away for six to 12 months for their homes to be put right.

Mr Minns estimated the cost of damage to Hull schools at £70-100 million, with some schools unlikely to reopen until next year.

"We're patching up and reopening as best we can but 95 per cent of schools have been affected. We're having to bus students to other schools. At one school they were finishing their GCSEs ankle deep in water."

Torrential downpours made last month the wettest June for almost 150 years, forecasters have said. An average of 140mm of rain fell across England and Wales - twice the long-term average and the highest since 1860.

© Independent Television News Limited 2007. All rights reserved.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Hull news
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 13:43:07 »
The last lines to this old folk song I used to sing come to mind. They could add a few more verses nowadays.

The Dalesman's Litany

It's hard when folks can't find the work where they've been bred and born
When I was young I always thought I'd bide 'midst roots and corn
But I've been forced to work in town so here's my litany
From Hull and Halifax and Hell, good Lord deliver me

When I was courting Mary Jane, the old squire he says to me
I've got no rooms for wedded folk, choose whether to go or to stay
I could not give up the girl I loved, so to town I was forced to flee
From Hull and Halifax and Hell, good Lord deliver me

I've worked in Leeds and Huddersfied and I've earned some honest brass
In Bradford, Keighley, Rotherham I've kept my bairns and lass
I've travelled all three Ridings round and once I went to sea
From forges, mills and coaling boats, good Lord deliver me

I've walked at night through Sheffield lanes, 'twas just as being in hell
Where furnaces thrust out tongues of fire and roared like the wind on the fell
I've sammed up coals in Barnsley pits with muck up to my knee
From Barnsley, Sheffield, Rotherham, good Lord deliver me

I've seen fog creep across Leeds bridge as thick as the Bastille soup
I've lived where folks were stowed away like rabbits in a coop
I've seen snow float down Bradford Beck as black as ebony
From Hunslet, Holbeck, Wibsey Stack, good Lord deliver me

But now that all our children have gone, to the country we've come back
There's forty mile of heathery moor 'twixt us and the coalpits' stack
And as I sit by the fire at night, I laugh and shout with glee
From Hull and Halifax and Hell the good Lord delivered me

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 13:51:08 »
As I live in Hull and work in a Hull school,I can vouch for everything the first poster said, I don't know what to say to the second one.

I am going into meetings daily and we do feel like the forgotten city.Ours is one of the worst hit primary schools, our children are being bussed around starting Monday ,and they are coming from homes that have been severely flooded, our staff are valiantly trying to make arrangements to teach in temp classrooms, and deal with that trauma while also dealing with the floods they have had in their own homes.

Our morale is high considering what the situation is but  it is difficult to stay cheerful when you are surrounded by the devastation,everyone in the city is touched by it in some way.

I was lucky, the waters got to 18inches from my house but not in,however I lost all my garden,the contents of my garage, my 2 lotties and my school , we will rebuild, but I do think we have been somewhat forgotten.

When I go round the estates that I work on and visit with our parents it is hard to know what to say to them, in many cases the school is their home , a place they can go when things get tough, and it too is not there for them. I waded over my knees  to visit some of my  families and many just don't know what is happening.

The government need to be here to see it first hand, for goodness sake, I think that would have helped the folks a bit if someone high up had at least popped in and had a look. Sutton, about half a mile from me, which is part of Hull is the home of our deputy prime minister and Sutton was badly hit, I might add that his residence is on a hill and was OK. I doubt if anyone in the government can visualise the trauma it is having on the residents here, we had kids hanging over the school fence crying as they saw workmen and their teachers covered in filth carrying all the destroyed contents of the whole of our school to the skips for dumping.

We realise that we are not the only town affected and we can understand and relate to the others, but I do believe we are in a very bad position and yes, Hull is frankly a disaster.

There is a severs shortage of workmen to do repairs and  insurance assessors seem to be almost non existant, therefore everyone is in limbo. Teachers are wading through debris and helping to clear at school and then going home to do it again.

It is not good and many folks are starting to crumble now.

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 13:58:47 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 16:51:51 »
Stumped for words Jeannine..
 :-[

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 16:59:39 »
So glad you posted that, Jeannine.

If you were a Tsunami you would have had millions by now?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 17:12:22 »
hmmm tim the debate is still out on the millions going to the tsunami victims... alot went in government pockets...

But yes, Hull has hardly been mentioned and it was a shocking read... not that we didnt believe you Jeannine - its just reading a report makes it so much more real.

Hope they come to the rescue soon Jeannine - you are all stars soldiering on the way you have been.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 17:48:01 »
Tim, Saddad and Olive.

I am in tears now which is good because we have all tried not to be, but it is impossible to explain to someone who has not seen it here.

The devastation has touched all levels of income, water does not stop and think before it goes into homes. I mostly work with parents who don't have insurance, now we might say "why, for goodness sake " but it is low on the totem pole for someone on benefits trying to rear a family. Many of our Mums are single and  trying to get second homes together with what little they have. Mostly their furniture is used or hand me downs, not all of course, but certainly a great many. They have been joyful even managing to decorate a room, now what do they do, many just don't know where to begin.

Three weeks ago there was an air of excitement on the main estate I work on as the council who renovating the houses. are nearly finished. They have all got double glazing and central heating recently and over the last month the new kitchens have gone in, most residents are thrilled with the new surfaces, new floors, the council even plumbed in their washing machines etc, now they are all filthy and spoilt. They have gone from elation and excitement too.......well it is like pricking a balloon with a pin.

I help Mums who can't read, they just don't know which way is up.

The folks with insurance are waiting day after day for something, an assessor, a drying out firm, an insurance man, and day after day they are let down as  they are put off to another day. Insurance has told one family I know that have just had new carpets  laid that the down stairs and hall will be replaced but not the stairs as they were not under water,yet they have paddled over sewage soaked carpets and then walked upstairs,It is not fair, these folks don't need more trauma.

You can't get a hotel room in Hull as so many people have had to move into them.

Many are scared to leave their homes in case they are vandalised and they lose the bit they have so they are living in them as they are.

I shouldn't go on like this, but if we were declared a disaster  area officially I think it may be different.

Without the help of machinery to dry houses out we are told 1 inch of water = i month of drying time, and in the meantime doors don't close and plaster is coming off walls. There just isn't enough drying machines to deal with the numbers that need them and I am not sure but I think if you don't have insurance you don't get one. I haven't seen one on a house on the estate yet.

There are tons on volunteers doing what they can though and that is wonderful to see.

Sorry if I sound a bit down but it is very difficult not to be.Red tape unwinds so very slowly.

And it has just started to rain again, we have not had a rain free day for three weeks.
XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 17:55:07 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 18:39:24 »
All I can do is send my best wishes-I know Hull well enough-and The Land of Green Ginger  will sprout again.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 18:43:20 »
I read this article today as well :(

Lots of love to the people of Hull. Hard to know what to say really XX
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 19:11:05 »
Jeannine and all affected.

What can we more fortunate lotty holders do??

Perhapse i can contact our local schools and see if there is anything they can do to fundraise for your school?

If we all arranged something in our respective areas then we might be able to raise a little money??

There is always stuff being given away on freecycle that might be useful if we can arrange transport and storage in Hull?

Lets look at being positive  :)

Cambourne7

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 19:28:49 »
It's about time attention turned to Hull. Just because it's not on the main railway line from London like Doncaster the journos don't cover it. And -it makes me so angry when I hear people say (as they apparently were on a radio phone-in today) "if they choose not to get insurance it's their own fault". As if people on a low income have a choice! Your words brought tears to my eyes, Jeannine. Hope the media coverage today, late as it is, puts some pressure on the government.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 19:33:35 »
I have just emailed my MP (Andrew Landley) as hes a conservative they will be happy to throw this inaction at the govenment i suggest that people email there MPs as well.

I have also just emailed my local bbc station to see if any fundraining can be done though the bbc local radio network. I suggest that you email your local stations as well.

Lets spread the word!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 19:48:09 »
There has been a Hull Disaster Fund set up now, I don't have the details but I am aware it is force. I will try to find the info and post it for anyone who wishes to contribute.

There are quite a few wanted ads on Freecycle just now too.

I also have heard that it seems people are now focusing more on Hull than they were a couple of days ago.

XX Jeannine

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 20:01:55 »
I have just emailed my MP (Ann Keen)

Thinking of you - not much in the scheme of things tho.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 20:12:34 »
Not before time Jeannine. Sincere thoughts and wishes to all who have sufferred through the terrible floods.
Lorna

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 22:00:05 »
It is an absolute disgrace the floods in Hull and elsewhere haven't been front page news every day since they happened. / shades x
grow your own way

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 22:01:15 »
Not wanting to jump on the band wagon but I can only confirm (not that it is needed ) what Jeannine is saying.

As I have said elsewhere I was not in Hull for the floods but kept a contant eye on Sky News and Hourly phone calls home.

I know the first death due to the floods last week was in Hull but as soon as other areas became affected Hull was soon forgotten about as it normally is (unless we are the bottom of a league table crime/schools ect).

I was lucky I was within about an inch of been flooded but a lot of my friends and family and fellow plot holders were not so lucky.

I hope I can say this as being Hull born and breed, but Hull is not a very affluent area, lots of people struggle on a day to day basis. Not just on the estates but in private housing as people struggle to get upon and to keep a hold on the housing market.

Being a self employed plumber I deal with people with major problems, (leaking bath takes kitchen ceiling down) and the number who do not have any insurance.

On the flip side of the coin I have only had a few work calls since these floods. Who wants a new bathroom whilst waiting a year for their downstairs to be re built. Could be the end of GK Plumbing as we know it. Good job I start college in September.

Gary

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 23:23:34 »
I heard this on the news this morning too.  The lack of support and silence from the Government is deafening.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 09:19:22 »
Just heard Gordon Brown has promised some financial aid for flooded areas- no figures yet, though. Reckon we need a Hull-aid gig- plenty of good bands hail from Hull!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 09:30:16 »
Jeannine, I feel for you with all this anguish.  I hope aid comes soon and that your school is soon on its feet.  My heart goes out to the people of Hull and other areas that have been flooded.  What a nightmare it must be.

Pauline x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal