Author Topic: picture frame  (Read 3009 times)

ACE

• Hectare
picture frame
« on: July 04, 2007, 13:19:57 »
This is not really a computor question, but just in case there is a electronics expert amongst you I shall ask the question anyway.

I have a modern digital picture frame that shows my pictures from a storage card. Recently it stopped working and I discovered that the 12volt mains adaptor had packed up. I tested it with a universal mains adaptor and all seemed to go well. I did not want to leave the frame running as although the universal transformed mains to 12 volt it did not show the 1.5a stated on the broken adaptor instead it had 1200ma. Also it is a huge power adaptor and does not look very nice on the sideboard.

Now can I use any 12volt adaptor even if it does not state 1.5a  or is that number crucial.  Apart from the safety side of things,the frame cost a few bob and I don't want to mess it up.

All these a and ma numbers confuse me. If you google GFP181DA.1215 and look under asian products you will get the full spec of the adaptor

Answers in plain english please, remember I am a gardener.   

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: picture frame
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 20:23:48 »
(Not a qualified lecky, ACE but..)

Amps are coulombs per second.
Watts (power used) are amps multiplied by volts.

You're still running @ 12volts with the same wattage consumption.

Your question is, is it safe to run at 1200 m.amps as against 1.5 amps?

1200 m.amps is 1.2 amps is it not?

I don't see a problem but I'd like to know what the wattage of your frame is.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 20:25:34 by kenkew »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 21:00:39 »
Been looking into this in a bit more depth and can't understand how you're getting 1.2amps where you once had 1.5amps.
You say the frame stopped working but you said you don't want to leave it running...is it working or not?
You're still getting your 12 volts out of the tranformer and you have an amp reading which I suggest is probably within the working capacity of your frame. It's the 'Stopped working' bit I'm not understanding.

(Usually 1.2amps runs from a transformer delivering 15 volts. That seem to be a recognised standard.)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 21:17:50 »
The frame still works, and the amp information is what I read on the transformers, the original but faulty one stated it was 1.5a, The universal transformer which I used to test the frame said it was 1200ma, which I know understand means 1.2a, and the frame still worked with it.                                                                       

There is no mention of wattage anywhere on the adaptor or the frame, but the explanation you gave on volts and amps has enlightened me as to what to ask for in maplins.

I did not want to mess up the frame by using the wrong adaptor/transformer.

Thanks for your help.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 21:27:57 »
Unusual that there is no wattage etched onto the manufacturers label on the frame. It's standard practice to mention wattage on all electrical appliances so you know the safety margins.

(UK homes run on 230/240 volts @ 13 amps. That gives you a maximum of 3,120 watts per circuit fuse).

At 1.2 amps your frame is running slightly under power so providing it's running ok, I see no problem. It's possible your test meter isn't quite as accurate as you thought.

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 15:53:51 »
The original transformer was rated to supply up to 1.5A, your universal one is claimed only to supply up to 1.2A.  If your frame was taking more than 1.2A, you might expect the transformer to get hot and bothered. I suspect that won't be the case, but if your universal one is getting very hot, stop using it. Would expect a digital picture frame to be using a lot less current than that.

Ken - The reason transformers are described in terms of volts and amps rather than watts is to do with the fact that the load will be reactive rather than purely resistive (ie there is capacitance/inductance to worry about too).

If you buy one from Maplin, check also the connector and polarity. There is no standard for connectors on these things. Also make sure it claims somewhere to be 'regulated'; very cheap ones produce the correct voltage only at the rated current. I would expect the digital frame actually has its own regulator inside it which steps the voltage down to the much lower level modern chips actually use, so it is probably not that sensitive to what you put into it, in any case, but probably best not to rely on it.

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 08:40:10 »
Bet you're glad you asked this question? All as clear as mud to me now!

??? ??? ??? ???
;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 08:43:36 by KevB »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 12:47:29 »
No very enlightening. I need the frame as otherwise I will be sitting looking a a static picture of the wife.

Now I know about volts amps, mili amps watts etc. I am ready for my next venture. How can I change 240 volts to 2,000 volts on her electric reclining chair ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal