Author Topic: advice needed  (Read 2540 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
advice needed
« on: July 03, 2007, 15:05:34 »
Hi Guys,

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/House/?action=view&current=P1010404.jpg
( sorry the pics taken over winter and sideways )

As you can see i have the garden split into 3 areas.

Front - This is the first part of the garden as you leave the house, this is grass with plants in the grass.
Middle - Covered Decking with a gap on either side which i was going to use for storage with some custom storage units.
Back - This is the entrance to the garden from the path. Camomile lawn with planted beds around the edge.

The hubbie has decided he wants to add a pond to the garden. Not just a pond he wants to put a water feature around the decking with a pond area all linked up for large goldfish or karp.

I think the only way that this can be done is the use of a preformed pond in the back area and building in brick a raised pond area around the decking with the levels changing for the entrance and exit.

Help i think hes going nuts!

Cambourne7

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 15:14:35 »
I know nothing about ponds, but if you can figure out a way of having one running all the way around the outside of your decking area, I think it would look fabulous! and loads of exercise for the fish, too ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 09:36:14 »
I wanted to have an island with water around it  when we first put our pond in many years ago and we were told then that the only way to do it was to dig a trench all round where you want the stream to go. Buy a pond liner to cover the lot and cut a hole in the middle so that you have a continuous run of liner. We couldnt get a liner big enough to do it. These days you can get stuff to join it together. Hope you can understand all this waffle
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 22:23:37 »
Cambourne,if hubby wants to keep large goldfish or koi carp there is no preformed pond  big enough.They need a depth of at least 4 foot,a very large surface area and expensive filtration.This will all cost a great deal of money and take up a lot of space!!

You could compromise and start small with small,hardy goldfish and then if you get the biggest preformed pond you can fit in,you could still have a pretty addition to the lovely garden you have.
Margaret

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 23:51:54 »
thanks guys, margret when are you comming down you might be able to talk some sence into him.  ;D

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 16:10:21 »
You're joking aren't you? I have been trying for years to stop mine from building a huge waterfall above our largest pond, surrounded by mountain size rocks............. ;D

Margaret

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 16:29:15 »
my dad gets ambitious armchair ideas, thankfully none ever get off the ground ;D
we call him "I'mgonna..."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal