Author Topic: Controversial?  (Read 1810 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Controversial?
« on: July 05, 2007, 22:17:18 »
Thinking out loud, so don't shout but..........

I rotovated a large area of my plot this year (or rather a v. nice man did)  This area was/is infested in Horsetail and the ground so hard I couldn't get a spade in.  Once r'd the soil was workable, so I dug it over again, removing all bits of root.

By this time of year the HT has won the battle and in areas that I had only hand dug and weeded, you can't see the soil for the xxxxing stuff............however and this is the controversial bit, the area that was rotavated is remarkably clear, the odd bit has surfaced but nothing like as bad as I had been led to believe and I wasn't expecting total eradication.

Is there a 3rd way with this rotavating malarky???  Once r'd, go back over with a spade to get out the nasties.

I have to say, I'm so pleased with the results, I think it is worth doing every year - if I can persuade that v. nice man...............

Go on then, start shouting (now running away to hide in a cupboard)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Controversial?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 22:36:47 »
Horsetail, SMP?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 23:00:51 »
(Peeping out of the cupboard)

Horsetail?...............err, Yes

Horsetail/Marestail - but I thought Marestail is an aquatic variety.......all I know is that whatever it is, its rampant on my plot :'(

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 23:15:05 »
Rampant on my plot too SMP, but the other way round!
I was lucky enough to have a bit of my plot rotovated by 2 very nice men.
That bit has lots of clumps of the perishing stuff sprouting everywhere, whereas the bit I did by hand has considerably less, and single bits not clumps. If there is a way to eradicate it, I'd be interested to know how, but if one plot has it, then it seems surrounding plots do too, so even if we did get rid, then I think the chances of it coming back are quite high. :(

ps. I thought horsetail too. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 23:53:16 »
OK, I'm out of the cupboard ;)

Emaggie, did you dig the rotavated bit afterwards.  Thinking about it, I also had the top end roto'd but haven't hand dug as much and there is lots sprouting.

I think the clumping is it's natural response to being chopped up, if you pull the clump up, it's all on one root.

Since it outlived the dinosaurs, I'm not even trying to eradicate it, just keep it under control..............

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 10:13:51 »
Not proper digging really, just turned it a bit and picked out the roots I could find. I wonder if constant rotovating obliterates it in the end.There are plotties near me who don't seem to have as much and they rotovate alot. It's a thought.......
Smile, it confuses people.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 10:34:54 »
I have the wretched stuff in my front garden, and against all my organic principles actually jumped up and down on a section away from my beds, and then used the dreaded weedkiller. (It is breaking through our tarmac'd drive) It has partially worked, waiting for a sunny week to repeat said jumping!
The beds we are attempting to dig it out......such a soul destroying job...I think I shall be 6 foot under before I ever get rid of it! ;D  (probably sharing my resting place with Bindweed, Marestail and Dock leaves! ;D ;D)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:12:27 »
I hand dug all my rotavated patch and although the horsetail (yep, me too) is back it is manageable at the moment1 i think as you say you have to pick out and get rid of as many little bits and roots as you can.
I think someone (maybe Tim) said on a similar thread that used as a cultivating tool as opposed a clearing tool rotavators are very effective although i think a tiller is the job for that and would have similar effect but not as churny uppy for the soil. Also thinking aloud sorry!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal