Author Topic: Can you save my jam?  (Read 14270 times)

silly billy

• Acre
Can you save my jam?
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:34:33 »
OH made some jam at the weekend using raspberries, strawberries and blackberries and also used the juice of a lemon for the pectin (doesn't mean much to me).She tested to see if it would set and then put it in jars but it hasn't set enough so my qusetion is can we do anything to make it set or do we just put it down to experience and use sugar with added pectin next time?
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

MacArthur Park

• Quarter Acre
  • Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
Re: Can you save my jam?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:41:27 »
Hi,
I have re-boiled jam before because the thermometer said it was hot enough but it didn't set. I always use the old fashioned way now of putting some on a cold saucer and pushing it. If it wrinkles it's ready. Don't know about the lemon juice - I always add some crab apples for added pectin. Good luck with it.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 14:18:11 »
YUp, I have reopened jars, reboiled until setting point is reached again and rebottled but remember to rewash and sterilise your jars!  I usually use lemon or apple to set my jam if it is a dodgy type, but I would have thought the blackberries would have helped the set.  I think it varies on ripeness and time of year.  I have made jam using blackerries and the stuff just wouldn't set, but very late in the season, it has set so hard we have had to slice it!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 14:21:09 »
waitrose sells jam suger with extra pectin, I am going to pick some up for later in the year as i am sure i have only seen this in the shops at this time of the year. Now picked a wopping 3oz of redcurrants :-)

SillyBilly i hope your jam sets for you.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 14:51:48 »
I would buy liquid Certo,which is a liquid pectin. Reboil the jam, add the required amount of Certo, boil hard for 1 minute and re seal, that will do the job quickly and efficiently. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 15:36:37 »
I would buy liquid Certo,which is a liquid pectin. Reboil the jam, add the required amount of Certo, boil hard for 1 minute and re seal, that will do the job quickly and efficiently. XX Jeannine

Hello

I agree certo is great for setting jams & marmalades always have a bottle spare.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 19:17:57 »
Last year I had some raspberry & redcurrent that would not set for love nor money but as it did
have some sugar in I kept it in the fridge and was a great yogurt topper.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 19:35:14 »
 :) :)lots of folk on lottie site say no jam is setting because too much water in the fruit/ shades x
grow your own way

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 19:40:13 »
Certo will set practically sugar and water! !

I make a corncob jelly that has no fruit, therefore no  pectin at all and Certo sets it without a problem.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 19:42:27 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 20:46:58 »
Glad to see that there is another Certo fan! I like it because you can make fruit jams with very little boiling and avoid that "boiled" flavour.
However, Certo seems quite difficult to find these days. Can anyone suggest nationwide chains that stock it?
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 21:16:14 »
Hello

I get my certo from sainsburys or my local health food shop.
Certo is sold in most shops here's the link

http://www.certo.co.uk/Where%20to%20buy.htm

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 19:35:38 »
Thanks for the link, and the loads of recipes.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 21:04:20 »
Just like to give my thanks for the excellent advice.I brought some Certo and we reboiled our jam and it has set perfectly.OH's 1st attempt at jam making has been saved by your advice.Thanks very much!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 21:18:46 »
Our local, very small Co-op stocks Certo & I looked at it & ummed & ahhed & didn't buy it cos I was worried it would make the jam taste different.   I do use jam sugar though & have never had a problem - yet!

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 21:43:02 »
I got 2 bottles of certo yesterday from ASDA. Tesco's certainly stock it.  (you'll find it by the sugar)My last years Damson jam set so firmly it's very hard to spread.
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 21:49:58 »
Thanks for the certo tip, it sounds like useful stuff to have in the cupboard

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 21:58:13 »
I almost always use it,  after your fruit is just cooked, you add your sugar, bring it back to the boil add the certo and only boil for 1 minute, so I think the flavour is not boiled away. One of my favourites is grape jelly which is bad for setting and Certo does it for me. I make a port wine jelly , a corn cob jelly and a rose petal and it sets them all. Johns fave is bramble, it has not a drop of water in it, just bramble juice so i don't want it boiling for ages.

By the way  different fruits need different amounts of Certo so it is best to follow a Certo recipe, it is usually only available at certain times of the year so it is best to keep some in.

Another tip, if you mix it with grape juice and take it daily it is an excellent remedy for arthtritis.

It does have another use, which I won't go into but the druggies know it,LOL

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 22:05:50 by Jeannine »

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 22:03:14 »
I had the same prob the other day with the blackcurrants.  Used the usual recipe with quantities of water and fruit - BUT - the fruit were enormous and I think that is because there has been so much rain lately that the fruit have swollen with the extra water they've had.  A reboil with certo did the trick with no probs.  I think fruit that has low pectin needs certo (or the sugar with added pectin) and the raspberries were fine with it.   :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal