Author Topic: Laying slabs  (Read 3136 times)

sazhig

• Half Acre
Laying slabs
« on: July 06, 2007, 00:52:14 »
Got me 22 2"x2" slabs off freecycle this week  ;D which I plan to use as my "patio" area of my lotty around where the shed, greenhouse, picnic table etc will go...area is a looong way from being cleared having several fruit bushes & canes on it as well as the x cubic feet of manure kindly left by the previous tenant....but am thinking about the best way to lay them:-\....if I ever get some dry weather to do some work up there!

I am assuming that I won't be allowed to use cement...but aside from that am pretty clueless about how to go about it....any tips/ideas?

Ta

Saz

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Laying slabs
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:35:58 »
I'll give you a cheap and cheerful way, although your 2 inch slabs won't go far ;D.

Level the area you want to use, if you are on a slope make sure you are running down from any buildings. Dig out the area you want to use so when the slabs are down they are level with the surrounding ground, this keeps them firmly place. Pack the ground solid with a heavy tamper. Put down some plastic sheeting to stop the weeds coming through and lay enough damp sand to bed them on. When you lay them put a small pile of damp sand in each corner where the slab will lay and tap, wriggle or slide them to be level with the next one. Use a spacer so as the slabs do not touch each over, Then grout with sand. You will get a servicable hard standing this way but for a more permanent way replace the sand with mortar. You can do it with sieved soil but weeds will be a problem.

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:46:52 »
If you really do not have a clue but plenty of time have a look on the website for all you would need to know.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/specs01.htm#specpat

Hope this helps

Gary

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 13:23:20 »
Oops didn't notice the typo :D

Thanks ACE...lovely clear instructions. Guess I need to go & find loads of sand at rock bottom prices....sieved soil might be a cheaper alternative...but I'd much rather that went/stayed on the growing beds ;D. Might be a while before I can afford some sand so that gives me plenty of time to clear the area. The slabs are safely here at home so not in any danger of wandering off as other useful things tend to  ::)

Excellent link Gary....nice to have some specific info about materials, measurements and loads of ides for other areas of the site.

Saz

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 13:58:37 »
Sand is cheap, it's the transport that costs.  If you see any building work nearing completion go and ask for the spare sand, they always order too much then they have to pay to dump it when clearing up. Keep half a dozen empty rubble/compost sacks in your car boot. You never know when you will spot some.

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 14:30:34 »
ooo excellent idea - off to tell DH as he drives the car more than me...

Saz

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 19:55:09 »
Agree with using sand not soil. Sand holds it's position and compactness, soil moves and you'll end up constantly lifting and re-laying, edges dipping and edges sticking up, ideal for tripping up on too.
 If you can, it's an idea to peg sides and top and bottom flags. Just hammer short strong pegs level with the flags. You'll have to keep some sand back to top up between the flag gaps, just brush it in. You could also run weed killer along the gaps.
(Gaps need only be 1/4 " )

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 20:38:57 »
Thanks for the peg idea Ken....wood I have plenty of in the form of pallets so nothing to pay our for that either....weed killer is a no no for me though - organic lentil knitter here! Don't mind the odd bit of weed pulling  ;)

Saz

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 20:49:47 »
If you have plenty of pallets then consider positioning a run of them down the path edges. That will hold your sand in even better. If you don't like using weedkiller, mix washing soda with your sand for the gaps and between flags and boards.

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 20:56:29 »
Do you mean "soda crystals" or laundry detergent? Don't use the latter coz I make my own. But have plenty of the former.

Saz

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 21:46:32 »
Don't know what you're are made of...! So yes, Crystals....use gloves 'cos it dries your skin.
 Good to wrap in a hanky and place on body parts that retain water...leave over-night with a towel wrapped round and just chuck the lot in the wash the following morning. Result...water retention has gone!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal