Author Topic: Going for a smoke ?  (Read 17241 times)

keef

• Hectare
Going for a smoke ?
« on: June 30, 2007, 20:38:51 »
Will be savouring a last f*g in the pub tonight - i only ever smoke the odd f*g when out drinking, so thats that then...whats next on the list i wonder?
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

keef

• Hectare
Re: Going for a smoke ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 20:43:51 »
Lokks like fags are banned on here too.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 21:47:30 »
Not where I`m sitting they aren`t.  Anyway, being rather a cynical type I`m convinced the whole fiasco is a money-raising stunt that backfired.

Remember when our Tony and his gang decided to ban cigarette advertising on F1 racing cars?  Bernie Ecclestone subbed up a thumping big donation to Labour party funds and the ban quietly went away, but when the newspapers found out the donation had to be returned. 

Then they discovered that they could no longer raise donations by flogging peerages.

No doubt the announcement of the present ban was expected to provide similar donations from the tobacco manufacturers, but it didn`t, and now we`re stuck with the ban.

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 21:49:58 »
I have sat in my castle between building beds; drinking bitter and smoking.  Life is grand and no one tell me to do otherwise.  Jack
Jack's in the Green.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 12:00:30 »
Smoke free pubs, bookies and clubs sounds like bloody heaven.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 12:24:05 »
It's interesting that the first political regime to ban smoking on health grounds was the Nazi party. Just a thought.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 12:53:13 »
The Hitler Youth Regiments got a sweet ration instead of Cigs....
 ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 13:28:50 »
I don't like loud music or TV's in pubs...very, very anti-social, and where I see it I don't go in.
Leave the landlord to control how he runs his pub and keep the government out of it. A smoking ban in eating places I agree with, same as work places, but if I want a pint and a f*g after work in my local, then I should be allowed to continue doing so, as has been the case since tobbacco came to Britain.
 If the anti-smoking lobby want a smoke free environment, don't change what there is already in place, go build one.  That way we all have a choice. Smoke free or smoky...take your pick.
...and ban lager, mobile phones, people who don't know how to drink from a glass and bring back spitoons!

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 15:30:25 »
i only ever smoke the odd f*g when out drinking,

Mine, usually. ::)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 16:32:28 »
As my local has been smoke free for years I'd much rather that they had banned children from pubs instead  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 18:09:48 »
I like the sound of banning mobiles.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 19:04:46 »
 stopped smoking 3 years ago come August.....I smoked for almost 30 yearsand to tell you the truth, I can't stand the smell of them now, but I believe every one should have the choice...............it should be down to the landlord to make that decision about his business, that goes for the restaurant and cafe owner too...................talk about nanny state !!!!!!!!!!

smokers put an awful lot of money in to the government coffers.more than enough to pay for their healthcare I would have thought.........

If they want to do it properly ....ban fags altogether
Life is to short !!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 19:21:46 »
i hate to put a spoke in here, ignore me if you want, my son works in a bar and is a non-smoker, i welcome the ban for the kids who work there but 'smoke' in spite of never having a f*g...also, there's cancer genes all over our family..some from smoking related...anyway, rant over, folks...do as you want but, leave kids like my son out of it  :)

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 19:24:49 »
Synposis

No children (my four are too old to be classified as tiddlers)
No mobiles
To loud music (unless it is something we like)
No Oiks, Nazi's, Lager drinkers or footballers, itinerant peddalrs, fakirs or ne'er do wells

See ya down the library then!
Jack's in the Green.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 19:53:34 »
Its all a bit daft, the pub i go to quite often everyone in there will be smoking or is a smoker (including the staff), so what happens now then - we all have to go outside, its just silly.
It will save on the washing though, your clothes do reek after a night in a smoky pub. However now all you'll smell in the pub will be stale beer and the gents lavvy wafting in everytime the door opens..loads of flies and midges too (from outside not the gents..)

Well of course i live in the sticks - and the opening hours were flouted for years before they were extended, i suspect this one will be flouted too.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 19:54:40 »
I agree with Marilyn. The people that work in pubs shouldn't be subjected to the smoke of others. Personally I stopped going to pubs a few years ago because of the smoke. I hated the smell on my clothes and hair when I got home. And the irony is that although smoking in public places has been banned in Scotland for some time, I haven't returned to the pub.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 20:09:55 »
Perhaps they should ban loud music in night clubs because the long term hearing damage suffered by the staff..

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 20:56:22 »
Radio 2 were reviewing papers this morning and covered the no-smoking ban and then said that apparently the government are considering whether smoking in front of your children could be considered abuse.  I was really shocked and can't help but think of 1984.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 21:55:21 »
As a barmaid in my student days, I smoked but by the end of the night would absolutely stink of smoke - it was putrid seeing the air stuffed with smoke.  I think the problem with this country is companies are too tight to invest in decent air conditioners/extracters... I have been in many restaurants/bars in the past and you couldnt smell smoke at all - the smoke was instantly sucked up and taken away.

My mum's place is like a July pub since she stopped smoking. Cant say i enjoy going round now and having to stand outside.

Smoking is bad... I will give up one day! I just wish it were easier!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 22:03:11 »
Absolutely unbelievably the Italians accepted the smoking ban (mostly) without question  :( :(
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal