Author Topic: Curly Parsley  (Read 2014 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Curly Parsley
« on: June 09, 2004, 17:32:39 »
My parsley is getting flowers. Should I be removing the flowers or will I continue to get parsley if I leave the flowers in place. The parsley was planted last year in spring but I don't remember getting flowers last year. :-\
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Curly Parsley
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 18:25:53 »
Take them off, but it looks as though it's on it's way out. Ours is. But I planted out a new lot - flat leafed - a week or so ago, to follow on. = Tim

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 18:30:53 »
Okay, this is going to sound really dumb then. Do you replant each year? My parsley survived last winter outside (well it looked like it had died and then re-sprouted with avengance this spring) and I assumed that it would last forever!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 18:38:39 »
I do - like chard & things. = Tim

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 21:15:23 »
Provided you keep removing the flowers, it should grow on.  I remember on sowing I had, surviving happily under the snow one winter.  :D
Muddy Boots

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 21:25:04 »
I find I replace every second year, mine is the curly variety and I always grow too much! :(
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 07:56:28 »
I let mine set seed and then self sow - the original parent died, but I got lots of new baby parsley plants this year - its a biennial I think - at least mine is acting like one!  I found parsley really hard to grow from seed, but it finds itself quite easy to germinate left to its own devices!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 09:05:57 »
Ceri,

You took the words out of my mouth.

I don't think the second year growth, especially when the plant starts to seed, is worth much, but the self sown plants are very valuable.

In order to get them every year you need to plant new plants for 2 years, but then nature should do the rest - and save much frustration at the poor germination of bought parsley seed

Phil

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 09:44:42 »
That's great advice. I'm going to let it flower and see if it self seeds, it's in a pot but a very large one so hope it works. :)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 09:49:23 »
Parsley is biennial, so it flowers in the second year. After that it dies.

I usually replace mine every year. I use the old plants through the winter and when the new stuff is ready to use, I take all the leaves off the old one and freeze them.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 12:34:29 »
Mine is in flower and I was planning to leave it to its own devices to see if it self seeds....no, not really, I have just been too lazy to pull them out and start again, especially as my allotment elf gave me a tray of flat leaf for the plot.  :D  Now I shall continue to be lazy and see what sprouts!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal