Author Topic: Cherry Jam recipe please  (Read 3553 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Cherry Jam recipe please
« on: June 09, 2004, 13:28:16 »
Have 3Ib from my mums tree and have eaten all I can stand, as I am alone in scoffing them.  :P  Anyone got any good reliable recipes?  I have heard they are low in pectine so are not reliable setters.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re:Cherry Jam recipe please
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 15:56:40 »
Sorry I can't help with a recipe for cherry jam but I have made brandied cherries, lovely in winter with vanilla ice cream  :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 18:08:18 »
One that i have never made as i have never been so fortunate as to have enough Cherries EJ.(squirrels)But i would do the same as i do with Strawberries and add some Gooseberries for the pectin .These will set anything .I would guess about half a pound.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 11:03:24 »
Use proper jam sugar . This has added pectin which more or less sets anything
Try this recepie
3lb Cherries
3Lb jam sugar
4 tablesppons lemon juice.

Put cherries in a pan with lemon juice. gently cook over a low heat fo 10 mins until cherries have softened. Add sugar and continue cooking over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring jam to a rolling boil for 4 minutes (or until setting point is reached. Remove pan from heat and skim off any surface scum with a slotted spoon. Also remove cherry stones at this point. Pot into clean steralised jars and seal. If you wish you can remove cherry stones before cooking but you will not get such an intense flavour

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 12:38:36 »
Thanks MissBaritone.  Jams made!  :P  I did destone the cherries, labour of love, but I tied them in a muslin and popped them in the mix.  Would hate for one of the kids to come across a stone mid munch.  Was planning to add a splash of kirsch at the end....but forgot!  :P  Oh well, at least now it is child friendly, and is delish!  They are quite pinky coloured cherries so have made a gorgeous shirt staining cerise jam!  YUMSKY!
 :P

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 13:23:01 »
d**n. Wish I'd seen this yesterday. They had a big back of cherries for 50p at the farm shop. I was tempted (I adore cherries), but they were quite squishy. Although to be perfectly honest, this jam making malarky seems a bit complicated to me. And I have no jars.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 22:16:39 »
Aqui, start saving them girl!  And you don't need many.  I always prepare masses of jars, I always go for the smaller sizes, and then only fill half of them!  It is deceiving how much these little jars hold.  Ended up with 5 jars of jam, a loose jam, but would be great on scones with cream  :P.  Also made grape jelly from mums grapes that she froze at the end of last year, but it didn't set  :'(. Bought some pectin today, it will be like rubber tomorrow!  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 09:37:58 »
Lakeland also sell jam jars if you are really stuck, and feeling flush ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 19:12:50 »
Lakeland also sell the wax discs for the top of the jam if you cant find in the local shops.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal