Author Topic: Loganberries  (Read 2508 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Loganberries
« on: June 27, 2007, 16:37:40 »
Has anyone else got ripe loganberries? We bought them as a late fruiting crop and they're already edible - before our autumn raspberries!

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
Re: Loganberries
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 16:57:54 »
Hello

My Sunberry & Tayberry are fruiting like mad at the moment both should be mid july onwards but i have be picking them for nearly a month and no sign of ending. Loganberry is also mid july onwards so happy cropping enjoy while they last.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 17:15:41 »
My loganberry is also fruiting like crazy.  :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 17:19:49 »
Been picking them for a couple of weeks. (Early this year - June 25th was first pick last year, but we are the sunny south!) Made jam & ice cream already, plus loganberry muffins, and tayberry crumble for this evening. And some in the freezer.

They are big and beautiful-looking this year, but nowhere near as sweet as usual. Plenty of rain, not too much warm & sunny!

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 20:01:01 »
 Brogusblue  -   we have autumn raspberries, a Japanese wineberry, and our Tayberry is also fruiting a few weeks early,  but have never heard of a Sunberry  -  whats it like ?

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 20:23:24 »
Hello

Sunberry is a raspberry/blackberry cross it can grow to 15ft, Fruit size is medium. Mines 2 years old and is trained on my shed and is about 7-8ft long fruit is slightly bitter sweet i think we could do with some sunshine to sweeten them a bit more, in  the month i have been picking i have had over 3kg of fruit for the first time and there is loads to be picked still.

**It's main claim to fame is that the cropping period lasts for many weeks. its far to vigorous and thorny to become really popular although the very dark and glossy berries have a good loganberry type flavour.
Because of this people purchase a tayberry or tumbleberry

**Taken from the fruit expert.
Cheers
Brogusblue
Brogusblue  -   we have autumn raspberries, a Japanese wineberry, and our Tayberry is also fruiting a few weeks early,  but have never heard of a Sunberry  -  whats it like ?

What's the japanese wineberry like i nearly purchased one this a few weeks ago but i didn't is it worth it??
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 20:26:23 by Brogusblue »
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 20:29:37 »
my boysenberry is just starting for form fruit!!

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 22:46:24 »
Many thanks Brogusblue - not sure if we could find the space a sunberry sounds like it needs  !
Our tayberry is trained on wires (about 5ft high x 10ftwide) in a fruit cage, and gave us over 30lb last year
We planted the wineberry in the winter, so all its doing this year is putting on growth to fruit next year (I think) but it is recommended as being relatively  free from birds as the fruit is enclosed in a case - but cant help you with the taste just yet !

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 22:51:32 »
Mr & Mrs Blackbird and their sprogs have been enjoying our loganberries for the last couple of weeks or so.  They are netted, but somehow they manage to get in and nick them.  Last year we only had a couple of fruit, this year looks like being the same.  They don't touch the blackberries  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 11:10:36 »
I have sunberries and I like them (but Tayberries are better).  Mine are in a sunny spot (although north facing) and were planted last year.  I have not had many 7-8 so far but they are like sweet enjoyable blackberries - got them from cool temperate.
3 kg is from how many canes ?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal