Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 20129 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Harry Potter
« on: June 25, 2007, 21:33:30 »
Anyone else a Potter fan?

I wonder what it is like being in Stephan Fry's shoes right now?  He must know how the story continues and how it all ends.  Oooh I'm dying to find out!

Is Prof Snape is a good guy or bad? Who meets their final end? Did Dumbledore really die?? Where is his brother? What happened to Sirius Black? Hmmm,what is it with Percy? I'm suspicious about that chap!

Anyone got any interesting theories?

I've got the book on preorder and also the audio cd.  I'll not be tuning into tv/radio etc until I've listened to Stephan Fry telling the tale.

Looking really forward to the next film. Taking my Potter mad son. Big bag of sweets and a big drink of pop and we will be made up!

;D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 21:51:36 »
Hiya Heldi, I'm a total harry potter fan too, and so is my sister, we can't wait for the new book!!!  But I must have missed something, what's Stephen Fry got to do with things?

I'm thinking Snape's a baddie, cos of what happens in the half blood prince (won't say unless someone hasn't read it yet  ;) )

We're going to the book store at midnight as soon as it comes on sale - did it the last coule of times too - the assistants dressed up once and everything!

You've reminded me that i need to re-read them all so i'm ready for when the new book does come out  ;D  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 22:01:45 »
thats a good idea any excuse is a good un i say :-* i,v got a set of my own now
i borrowed my g/daughters the first time and got one all wet when i fell asleep in the bath :'(
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 00:59:37 »
I think they come into the category of rattling good yarns! I've thoroughly enjoyed all the books and the films. I'm a bit worried about the final volume though. Could be a bit too final if you know what I mean.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 07:57:23 »
I love going to buy the book at midnight, it is like a big party, we get there about 10.30 and the store brings out hot chocolate for the people queueing.  Everyone is excited and lots of people dress up. 

Sadly I am going away on the Friday this year so will miss it. :(  My daughter will be going though and will not sleep until she has read it.  Last time she just sat on the floor outside the shop reading as soon as she got her book and it was hard to get her to the car, she is so addicted.  I think there might be a few tears this time if the rumours are true... :'(

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:23:08 »
Not convinced that Snape is a baddie, but think I am in a minority....

Don't think I will be queueing up for it, but nothing will be done for a day or so whilst I read it! ;D
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:40:15 »
Oooh I'm so pleased to find some fellow Potter fans!  
Stephan Fry reads all the Harry Potter on audio. He is a real treat to listen to.  I'm guessing he will have recorded the audio by now.  What a secret to have to keep to himself eh?! I wonder how many times he gets asked about it?!

About Snape. Dumbledore had such faith in him.  He could've killed Harry in the Blood Prince but he didn't. I reckon he will come good.

I 'm wondering if Dumbledore's brother will turn up some how?

I live too far away from a book store to camp out. It certainly sounds like a good laugh. I love the thought of people being all dressed up.  Great fun!

Blimey marg ...be careful! Falling asleep in the bath!

Do you really think that Harry will be killed off?  I hope not.  My son has grown his hair and even chosen HP style specs to wear. Crikey I'd better brace myself for a big upset.  He is busy reading Order of the Phoenix at th moment. Amazing how those books have managed to get him reading. I know he discusses the books with his friends in class and I think that is brilliant for 8 and 9 year olds.

Tulippa will you be asking your daughter what happens or will you ask her to keep quiet until you've read it?!  I'm really worried that I'll turn the tv on or see a newspaper or such like and end up finding out about it. Think I'll have to lock all the doors,pull the plug on the phone and turn off the leccy that weekend lol! Candlelight will add to the atmosphere anyway  :D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:51:19 »
I have read all the books, but only once. My wife is a fan however, and has read them several times. She has the latest book on order, I guess I will read it at some point.

She has suggested I read the Bartemaus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, so I am taking the first book with me to Spain. I expect to have plenty of reading time in the sun with a glass (or litre) of sangria ...  ;D
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:15:30 »
My ten year old daughter loves Harry Potter, and so do I.
But as she cannot read them in English yet, we'll have to wait till Christmas for the Dutch translation. (Guess what she'll find under the tree?)
In the meantime I have to refrain from reading the original. She will pester me for half a year when she knows I read the last volume.

And now I have to stay away from this thread, otherwise you are not able to discuss the plot. I join you in december. Enjoy the book and the movie.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 12:05:43 »
I quite enjoy childrens books as there usualy very well written.

I think harry potter will die and i think it will happen when he kills good old vordy, there to tightly linked that there can not be any other option.

The other books i enjoy are artimis fowl and the young james bond books.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 19:40:52 »
I enjoyed the first four books, but not the last two. The earlier ones had charm and delightfully imaginative details.  The more recent ones seem too contrived and self-consciously "dark".  Not to mention over-long.  They would have been much better for some bold editing.  I doubt if I'll bother to read the last one, I'm afraid I've lost interest.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 20:52:37 »
Cor you ain't half brave!!! :o :o

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 20:59:17 »
I enjoyed the first four books, but not the last two. The earlier ones had charm and delightfully imaginative details.  The more recent ones seem too contrived and self-consciously "dark".  Not to mention over-long.  They would have been much better for some bold editing.  I doubt if I'll bother to read the last one, I'm afraid I've lost interest.

I agree. I loved the first 2 (in fact I read the first one before Harry Potter became a publishing phenomenon), but I didn't think the 3rd one was as good and gave up halfway through the fourth one. I'm reading the 1st one to my daughter now; the opening chapter is refreshingly funny.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 21:33:54 »
artimis foul is like that i can be reading it and then start howling with laughter :-) not done that with HP in a while although i think i have shed a tear or 2.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 23:12:40 »
I've only read them the once in quick succession, borrowed off a true fan in work (she reads the whole series just before the new one comes out - but then so do most of you probably). Must admit to having to wait for her to read this one before I can, if I'm going to buy them I'll have to wait to win the lottery, buy the hardback adult box set and the kiddies paperback box set. Can't do the films, send me to sleep.  Really disturbed me when Dumbledore died,  I quite enjoy the dark side but don't want it to get too dark.  I do love a happy ending and get quite distraught if I don't get one.

and breath .............

;D

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 09:21:52 »
Hi Heldi...I love Harry Potter - a real ripping yarn. Me and Maya soooo excited about the new book. She is only 8 but flew through the first 2 and has been working her way through the others. She informed me the other day that she HAD to have the new book on the day it came out and I HAD to take her all dressed up. So that's what we're doing. Can't wait.  ;D
I have many theories, probably all wrong. I have a gut feeling DD's story not quite finished a la Gandalf. JK is very clever the way she has taken age old folk tales and legends and twisted them to fit. my littlest noticed the connection with the story of the elves and the shoemaker - they are given clothes and are free. Clever!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 12:24:17 »
I don't believe that they are that well written, but being aimed at children means that you can rip through them pretty quick.  I shall probably take the new one camping with me as it doesn't take much effort to read, and besides, I want to see if it really does end up being a rip off of Star Wars (Harry=Luke, Dumbledor=Obe Wan, Snape=Darth - will Harry turn him away from the Dark Side in the end, etc) ;)

But never mind my reservations, as the series has got so many kids back into reading I have to applaud them.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 14:09:41 »
I've only read them the once in quick succession, borrowed off a true fan in work (she reads the whole series just before the new one comes out - but then so do most of you probably). Must admit to having to wait for her to read this one before I can, if I'm going to buy them I'll have to wait to win the lottery, buy the hardback adult box set and the kiddies paperback box set. Can't do the films, send me to sleep.  Really disturbed me when Dumbledore died,  I quite enjoy the dark side but don't want it to get too dark.  I do love a happy ending and get quite distraught if I don't get one.

and breath .............

;D

Yes that is deadicated i only read the previous book but they only take a few days to read but i want to watch the film as well :-)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 14:52:06 »
I LOVE the Harry Potter books  ;D

I do agree that the last couple have been too long - lots of repeats of 'scenarios' that are OK but dilute the whole thing eg. baddies versus goodies in the Quidditch matches, school exams etc.

Still an enoyable read though! It's been so long since the last one I'm going to have to read it again to brush up.

Had a very Harry Potteresque dream last night, in which (or witch) I could fly. Sometimes I practice at the weekends by jumping of the allotment shed roof. I'll get the hang of it eventually  ;)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 18:03:35 »
Just ordered the new one from Tesco Direct- 8.87 with free postage for today only. Felt a bit bad because I know the price war is bad for small booksellers, but couldn't resist at that price! Have a feeling it will be a disappointment, though, they have got less good as they've gone on.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal