Author Topic: Allotment History  (Read 1929 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Allotment History
« on: June 25, 2007, 18:16:11 »
I've always been interested in the history of our allotments (as I'm sure many of you are as well)

I haven't been able to get much info about the 'physical' history of ours but I've  been given a FABULOUS record of allotment holders dated from 1949 -1953

It's a lovely, leather bound book with addresses and names of people that owned the allotments, how much rent they owed, how many bags of lime the bought and who they consequently sold their allotments to!

In 1949 my allotment was owned by Mr Fryer. He paid 15 shillings and ninepence in January and the same amount in July the same year.

My neighbour Ahmed's allotment was owned by Mr. Murden from 1949 - and in 1952 he sold the garden to Mr. Bartles

In July to Dec 1952:

Rent outstanding was recorded for Mr. Hill & Mr. Stott.

Looks like the Chairman of the Allotment Society was Mr. Fryer (the bloke who had my allotment in 1952) The Secretary was Mr. Church & the Secretary was Mr. Chamberlain!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Allotment History
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 20:42:28 »
We have had a clear out of some old documents... which as a historian have come to me for consideration but GCSE scripts are first... 170 down, 100 to go!
 :-X

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Allotment History
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 21:10:53 »
Trixie did they actually own the allotment or rent it?  Must be fascinating going through the old book & imagining all those people who probably relied on their lottie to feed their families.

Saddad, can't you just pass them all - make their day.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal