Author Topic: Asparagus bed. Help please!  (Read 1480 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Asparagus bed. Help please!
« on: June 25, 2007, 15:03:23 »
My asparagus bed hasn't done very well this year - mainly my fault because I let it get too weed-logged. Also had the dreaded asparagus beetle so only one of the crowns has managed to go to seed.

Do you think I would be able to get away with putting weed suppressant fabric over the bed until early next spring then keeping up with the weeding and possibly plant more crowns? Or would it be best to start from scratch  :-\

Thanks in advance

Trixie X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Asparagus bed. Help please!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 15:14:42 »
I think I'd be inclined to weed thoroughly and spray with derris against the beetle, top dress with compost and leave it be till next spring.

Asparagus is a tough old plant. My wife grew some from seed about twenty years ago and planted it in our garden. Unfortunately, the copper beech so thoughtfully planted by the council a few feet from our fence grew & overshadowed our veg plot. (One of the reasons for getting an allotment.) And the asparagus disappeared, so we planted a couple of beds at the allotment. Then a few years ago we finally persuaded the council that they had enough money to trim the beech tree: and the asparagus re-appeared!

So don't give up on it! It's there for 30 years or so. Just give it some TLC.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 15:21:45 »
I guess I was just being lazy!

Thanks TrevorD  :)

When do I spray with Derris? Also, if the plants haven't gone to seed due to the DREADED BEETLE, will they still be productive next year?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 15:26:31 »
We sprayed last week - I think the answer is "When you see them."

As for the going to seed bit, I always understood that the important bit was to stop picking so that the roots could build up strength for next year. But perhaps I'm wrong on that?

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 15:33:00 »
Oh well! Too late for the 'when you see them' theory!

They've eaten all the asparagus and bogged off  ;D

Thanks for the advice though  :)

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 16:29:31 »
Gads, asparagus!  ::) We planted some, then nothing showed on our plot, so we gave up and planted potatoes where the asparagus should've been. Last week, amongst the weeds and potatoes, the loveliest asparagus ferns! It was such a surprise.  :o I read somewhere you should always give all plants a year or two, most of them want to live. Now we have to get potatoes up and plant the rest of the asparagus thingys.  :P
This year it's squash.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 17:26:49 »
When you stop picking the asparagus it grows into ferns which should be left, as this builds up their strength for the following year. If any of the plants go to seed that is because they are female, that's what females do.  Some books say the seeds should be picked off, I did that the first year, then it became too much and it didn't seem to make any difference. In fact, the seeds that dropped onto the ground produced babies!  There's no difference in taste between male and female plants.

Scrupulous weeding is important, though, as it keeps the soil clear, so the spears don't have to fight to push up through the weeds!  Mulch is good.

Keep an eye open for the beetles and their grubs and I'd say spray on sight!
The Tuscan Beaneater

Superstar

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 20:56:18 »
I understand crushed, old plaster is the thing to scatter on the asparagus bed - apparently there are natural chemicals that the plants love.
Give me strength - please!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 20:57:37 »
And Epsom salts too.  I've got a feeling my dad used to take those as a cure for hangovers, or have I got the wrong stuff?
The Tuscan Beaneater

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 21:03:59 »
And seaweed, apparently they like the salt - I plan to get some the next time we go to the beach.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 22:13:42 »
Yeah, that's right, I've heard that one too.  We're near the coast, but it's never the right time to go rooting round the shore for seaweed.

Year before last I mulched with a very thick layer of mushroom compost from my lovely multi-tasking man from the farmers' market.

The Tuscan Beaneater

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal