Author Topic: Loveapple Pie  (Read 2610 times)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Loveapple Pie
« on: June 09, 2004, 10:23:44 »
Remembering a wonderful taste from childhood - a sweet fruit pie made with green tomatoes, and a lovely spicing.

I don't suppose anybody has a recipe?

I fully intend to have lots of green tomatoes next year!  :)  

All best - Gavin

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:Loveapple Pie
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 15:55:43 »
Gavin,

Just do a google for 'sweet tomato pie'.  Several alternative recipes came up!  Sounds intriguing!  :D
Muddy Boots

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 19:13:59 »
Aha!  How silly of me!  :(

Honest, I did think of google - but I did "love apple pie".  First offering has to be the most disgusting sounding recipe I have EVER encountered.  For this one, Dan, we need a very, VERY special "puke" smiley.

Have a look at http://www.post-gazette.com/food/19990211ketchuppie3a.asp  - please don't try it and tell me it tastes better than it sounds!  I do not want to know!  :)

Thank you, Muddy Boots - more than enough there to get me thinking and trying it out.  Funny - I only ever had it once, when I was about 11 or 12, I suppose; and the taste I remember so well - and my mum explaining what "love apples" were.  Looks like cinnamon could have been the main spice; I remember the brown sugar.  Sorry - don't have any green tomatoes with which to try it out!

All best - Gavin
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 19:16:14 by gavin »

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 21:11:01 »
Ugh!  You are absolutely right gavin, real technicolour yawn job!  Ketchup and apples!

Sounds as if you need to go on the scrounge for some green tomatoes!  Still, at least you have a recipe for next year and we will be waiting with bated breath to see if it lives up to your youthful memory!  ;D
Muddy Boots

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 22:31:53 »
Gavin, what we called "love apples" in Caithness were the wee "apples" that come on  top of the potato shaws!  Certainly wouldn't have been good for eating - green tomatoes sound a better option!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal