Author Topic: Fruity Pic's  (Read 1569 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Fruity Pic's
« on: June 09, 2004, 09:17:07 »
This is the first strawberry. Not the right shape for the supermarket shelf, but...mmmmm yummy.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Fruity Pic's
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 13:07:20 »
mmmmmmmmmmm, yummy Ken!  Mine are all still very green, quite a late one, so I have to wait a while longer.  The man on the plot next to mine has a lovely new patch, and they are all red.....and he hasn't picked them!  :o  I am back again on Friday, if he hasn't been up there by then I am going to see if the site secretary has his number and give him a call, it would be a crime to let them rot away, there are dozens of them.  If he doesn't want them, I could give them a good home!  :P

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 21:52:36 »
Have had a few nice big ripe ones this week so far and lots of fruit but notice about a dozen plants are not putting on growth just tiny flowers and no fruit.  Should I change the location next season - they have been in the same bed for a few years tho I do lift them, freshen and feed the soil and put them back in late summer/early autumn each year?  they aren't old plants never keep beyond 2/3 years.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 11:51:14 »
Time for a change, Wicker. Left to their own devices strawberries naturally 'walk' away from the parent plant. Pot on runners and start a new bed next year. Bet you see a difference and you're not building up disease in the 'permanant' bed.
It's not a bad idea to, after fruiting and taking runners, to take a mower over the plants, rake up and burn the leaves.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal