Author Topic: Cabbage White Caterpillars and Birds  (Read 1538 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Cabbage White Caterpillars and Birds
« on: September 09, 2007, 14:47:31 »
I know caterpillars are a staple food for baby birds but do adult birds of any species eat them?

Its just I have loads on my brassicas, which i regularly pick off and put on the bird table (cant bring myself to squish them), thinking that someone will eat them. However this does not seem to be happening. Not even the local robin, who often visits the table, seems interested.

Am I wasting m time - should I just squish the caterpllars to get rid of them?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Cabbage White Caterpillars and Birds
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 15:42:33 »
Im no expert but I would imagine that some if not most caterpillers do not taste good  and some definately look scary to birds.

I must admit I have never seen any birds feasting on the caterpillers I get on my brassica every year!.......if they did they would be so fat they wouldnt be able to fly! ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: Cabbage White Caterpillars and Birds
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:40:27 »
My hens won't eat the cabbage white caterpillers,they just look at me as if to say "Do you think I'm daft,I'm not eating those?!"  So by that,and because of the colour the caterpillers are, I have supposed that they don't taste so good.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal