Author Topic: New Frontpage  (Read 13807 times)

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
New Frontpage
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:44:02 »
You may or may not have noticed the new frontpage,

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/index.php

Please update your bookmarks / links to point to the new page.

The old page will continue working for some time, but will be switched off in the end!

Feel free to comment (but be kind!)

Dan

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
Re: New Frontpage
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 12:10:34 »
Dan, well don, I think it is great everything there in full view, far less scrolling and clicking, however, have i missed something what are the ..clouds about?
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:12:37 »
I wondered that.  ???  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Sajaself

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 12:14:31 »
me too ???

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 12:16:24 »
The clouds are an experiment - not sure if I like them !

The words cloud shows the words used most frequently in the last 50 posts, and the user cloud shows the most frequent recent posters.

They are supposed to give you an idea of the recent activity on the site.

Cheers

Dan

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 12:18:52 »
Got yer, I thought you was going to break into a poem. I wandered lonely as a cloud               ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 12:23:42 »
Dan, I think it is too cluttered especially as the words are all different sizes, eyes dot to the biggest first then, it seems a bit like going onto a site with a sale on.
 The clouds come accross as the  priority but to me the messages underneath are more important. I wanted to wipe the clouds off.

After that I don't see a problem other than there is a bit too much blue for me. I like the white and 2 shades of blue ,but too much blue is hard on my eyes.

However I can clearly see you are working hard and I am grateful for that.

Thank you.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 12:26:48 »
Dan, I think it is too cluttered especially as the words are all different sizes, eyes dot to the biggest first then, it seems a bit like going onto a site with a sale on.
 The clouds come accross as the  priority but to me the messages underneath are more important. I wanted to wipe the clouds off.

After that I don't see a problem other than there is a bit too much blue for me. I like the white and 2 shades of blue ,but too much blue is hard on my eyes.

However I can clearly see you are working hard and I am grateful for that.

Thank you.

That is the point of the clouds, the largest words are the most used!

I have taken off the word cloud, as the server was suffering performance problems with it.

Cheers

Dan

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 12:38:57 »
Three cheers for Dan as usual.

Dan is this a silly question from a silly girl, can we not just click FORUM as we used to, sorry if i am not seeing things that are already there. Buds

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 12:42:24 »
Dan, another daft question. With the people names being in different sizes it sort of suggets  that some people are more important than others , somebody is bound to feel awkward with that

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 12:48:53 »
I have to admit that I had become very fond of the old frontpage, I knew where everything was and was just used to it I suppose. 

Still times change as they say and I shall just have to work hard to become a cloud  :)

Noticed another change though don't know how long it's been there.  On our profiles we can now see how many people we are being ignored by.  Do I want to know?  Probably not :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 12:49:05 »
I think I am confused here, which is not unusual.

I do not see the point in the new front page, the original front page provided an informative snapshot of the site, and a newcomer rapidly became orientated on subject matter of choice. I accept that there may be technical reasons for changing, which would not bore me, but find nothing of value in the new page.

I have reset my link to the forum page, I guess this will operate as normal.

I hope my comments are not construed as negative, they are not meant to be ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 12:49:38 »
Three cheers for Dan as usual.

Dan is this a silly question from a silly girl, can we not just click FORUM as we used to, sorry if i am not seeing things that are already there. Buds

At the top of the screen, there is a button maked forum - click that and you are in the forum!

Cheers

Dan

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 12:50:35 »
Dan, another daft question. With the people names being in different sizes it sort of suggets  that some people are more important than others , somebody is bound to feel awkward with that

XX Jeannine

The bigger the name, the more recent posts. It changed all the time.

Dan

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 12:55:46 »
I think I am confused here, which is not unusual.

I do not see the point in the new front page, the original front page provided an informative snapshot of the site, and a newcomer rapidly became orientated on subject matter of choice. I accept that there may be technical reasons for changing, which would not bore me, but find nothing of value in the new page.

I have reset my link to the forum page, I guess this will operate as normal.

I hope my comments are not construed as negative, they are not meant to be ...

A frontpage gives new visitors to the site an opportunuty to see what is what and what is where.

Technically they also allow other functions (gallerys, the wiki, etc..) to be included in the site.

Cheers

Dan

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 13:03:18 »
I like the recent posts section and think that it is better placed now that is has moved up above the cloud
Thanks for all your work keeping the site running.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 13:08:07 »
Dan, the name cloud at the bottom is much better. I still am not keen on it though. So to get my name smaller I have to post less , or is it being the most recent poster that keeps it big.  XX Jeannine

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 13:09:28 »
I like it - not sure about the "cloud" business, though, I think a mixture of font sizes in one paragraph is visually confusing.  Even though it is dynamic, when one is looking at the page it is static.

And I guess when it is no longer "new" the recent posts will move to the top.

And in any case, each block can be minimised by clicking on the arrow in the corner, so if you don't like the clouds - switch it off!!  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 13:13:45 »
I have to agree with Jeannine, I'm also finding the 'blue on blue' background/text more difficult to see...... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 13:13:57 »
Clouds?????

No clouds here, but then again, I am on Mac. I'm always left out of the fun bits >:(

cj :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal