Author Topic: cauli woes  (Read 1633 times)

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
cauli woes
« on: June 09, 2004, 06:41:41 »
I'm having problems with my caulis and have no idea what I'm doing wrong - any hints/tips appreciated.

On one the florets weren't dense, sot of straggly with spaces in between, tasted ok though. The other had all its leaves turn yellow and fall of and I was left with a perfectly formed "mini" cauli like you get in the shops - except mine was soft and rubbery.

help.
 -B_B-

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
Re:cauli woes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 09:21:00 »
yo, BB!  How's things going?

My current allotmenting bible - an aged Titchmarsh tome liberated from my parent's gardening bookshelf - opens the section on Caulis with the following passage:

"These are the gluttons of the vegetable plot and will only give you a good return if you dine them well"

Apparently this amounts to digging in as much well rotted matter into the ground in Autumn as you can lay your hands on.

How did you prepare the site?

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 10:34:58 »
Hi Beer-belly - caulis are greedy, thirsty, and fussy b*gg*rs into the bargain.  Any check to their growth, and they throw a hissy fit.  I find them very hard to grow well, and hard to trace back what I've done wrong.

Some thoughts - soil not rich enough at the beginning?    Or not getting fed as they grow?  Or running short on water at some point?

Or, probably most likely, you're not talking to them sweetly enough - remember the day of the famous hangover?  They're getting their own back!  :)

All best - Gavin

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 12:20:49 »
Loose heading - loose soil??

Check in growth - yes. But why not all of them? = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal