Author Topic: not allowed to keep animals  (Read 3075 times)

alipally

• Quarter Acre
not allowed to keep animals
« on: June 23, 2007, 09:04:55 »
I would love to keep chickens but the conditions of our allotment contract say no animals are allowed to be kept.  Has anyone else had this problem and what would you suggest I do.  I think writing to the parks and open spaces dept of the council will probably just get the standard letter about the contract rules. I have thought about going to the local MP.
Many Thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: not allowed to keep animals
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 19:27:25 »
If you can embarass them enough they may change their minds. At the very least you'll force them to justify themselves.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 21:18:28 »
We're not allowed animals either, there are only one lot of allotments in Winchester that are allowed animals  :(
The Tuscan Beaneater

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 22:17:54 »
sighMore and more regulations. I wonder which desk-bound admin person decided we lottie people are incapable of keeping a few chickens. Isn't 'growing your own' be it veg or eggs good for the environment and the nations health?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 22:18:59 »
I'd love to keep chickens, but I think my cats would have something to say about it,  >:( >:( >:( and the neighbours too  >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

Sabretooth

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 22:28:53 »
You need guinea-fowl for the neighbours.... ;D
Green Paws :D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 00:01:28 »
I'd love to keep chickens, but I think my cats would have something to say about it,  >:( >:( >:( and the neighbours too  >:( >:( >:(

We always had chickens, ducks & geese plus a cat or two - they pretty much all ignored each other. The biggest problem for the neighbours was me & friends throwing "missed" eggs about. Well, we were all young once!!  :)

Oh, there was a bantam Cockerell who couldn't call properly or tell the time. He used to go "UUUU UUUU UUUU" at about 4 every morning. Thinking back, I remember being told that "a fox" had got him. Strange how the foxes only ever took the annoying or noncontributing ones. Maybe I have some issues to explore!!!

Anyway, don't let the cats put you off, was my point asbo.

Alipally - we have the same restriction, which is probably a relief to the wife!!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 00:05:13 by OllieC »

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 15:18:02 »
Would love to keep chickens, but garden too small and they wouldn't stand a chance on the lottie , what with the foxes and the vandals.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 20:19:55 »
I personally think all 'not allowed to keep animal' laws on allotments are a BIG PAIR OF PANTS!

Cockerels, geese and tigers ... yes. I understand the objection, but not 'owt else!

Funniest thing on our site was when a 'long-term' resident on the neighbouring road complained about my 3 chickens. Turns out she lived closer to the farm across the other side of the road that kept cows and sheep than my allotment.

Some people are just up their own a*s*s about animals. It makes me mad!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 20:39:34 »

Chickens and cats are fine - our bantams have been known to peck the cat if he gets too close.  Also without a male chickens are pretty quiet - much quieter than most dogs - ours only have a little sing to announce that they have laid an egg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal