Author Topic: Potato foliage  (Read 2281 times)

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
Potato foliage
« on: June 28, 2007, 15:23:11 »
Do you compost it or not? We do have a skip on site at the mo so I can easily use that. I haven't got any sign of blight.
Thanks for the replies that I know you will give.
Crash

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
Re: Potato foliage
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 15:24:25 »
Sorry ment to add that I dug up aprox 12' today and got 18lbs of beautiful big spuds. ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 15:38:55 »
Hi Crash!

I was told by my neighbour NOT to compost potato leaves or tomato leaves.

Don't know whether the potato bit's right or not or why. Would be interested to hear what everyone else has to say  :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 15:40:29 »
We always compost the haulms (but not the roots, otherwise we'll have baby spuds for ever more).  One year we had blight, we burnt them that year.  :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 15:41:35 »
Ive always been told to bin or burn it.... better safe then sorry, and if youve got a skip there no need for 10 trips to the tip either!  :)

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 16:22:14 »
I've never composted potato leaves either - I don't really know why not - I think it may be a superstition

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 17:02:10 »
Tomato compost can be made from old tomato plants, together with soil and manure. Tomatoes have a narcissistic predilection for growing on their own rotted remains

This info was found on Google.I remeber reading some time ago.

Composting potato haulms is supposedly not a good thing but you could burn them and put the remains in the compost bin.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 17:32:16 »
Only the roots don't get composted, I leave mine to wilt down for a few weeks before I put them in, or the bins get full to quick and in that time I have other compost mixtures to mix in.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 08:59:43 »
I don't compost potato peelings either - I still think it's a family superstition. My grandfather burnt his potato tops and mashed the peelings down to feed to his chickens

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:17:30 »
I don't compost potato peelings either - I still think it's a family superstition. My grandfather burnt his potato tops and mashed the peelings down to feed to his chickens

Gosh that brings back memories of 50 years ago - the lovely smell of boiled potato peelings with growers mash over them for the girls breakfast! - I think it was the growers mash that smelt good - Memories!

I compost my potato haulms but probably will live to regret it!  I will take them to the tip now!

;D

:D

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 12:55:16 »
We always compost the haulms (but not the roots, otherwise we'll have baby spuds for ever more).  One year we had blight, we burnt them that year.  :)

Same here. Someone (Robert B?) posted here that blight can only survive in living tissue, so if there's no sign of blight in they go.
You been goofin' with the bees?

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 13:05:25 »
Many thanks... I knew I'd get a load of replies. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal