Author Topic: RIP Lobelia Cardinalis  (Read 2561 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
RIP Lobelia Cardinalis
« on: June 08, 2004, 12:39:12 »
:(

My Lobelia Cardinalis has gone. I'm not sure if it's been eaten by something or been frazzled by the heat. It was there, doing fine on Sunday evening. By Monday evening, I just had a few dry stumps left.

It was only two years old and has been kept well watered in this dry period.

Is there anything I can do to resurect it? Or is it gone for good?
gone to pot :D

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:RIP Lobelia Cardinalis
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 16:28:55 »
Oops Aqui, not sure.  Only thing I would say is don't chuck it yet!  Move it maybe!  Do you have it as marginal or bog plant?

Also, although I don't seem to need Oz's miner's helmet to catch slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails, would recommend search in darkness with torch to try to discover culprits! It could be that it might be being attacked by something in the pond, which may be why Margaret suggested lobelia is not suitable marginal.  However, as I said before, have a feeling that it may be regional
Muddy Boots

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 18:46:54 »
Aqui, I lost all mine last year.  The slugs ate them down to the bone.  >:( However, up they have come again this year.  :D I have now transfered them to the bog garden and surrounded them with slug pellets.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 18:55:58 »
I have also lost mine this year Aqui.  It has been coming up regularly for about four years now, but this year it did not appear at all :'(
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 13:24:57 »
Slugs and snail and puppy dogs tails, thats what took your lobellia.  Does mine every time.  They do come back, altho not as majestically.  Mine is now in the margins of my pond so am hoping that next year the slimey critters won't be able to get it!

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 13:28:57 »
Ah but what about WATER SNAILS??  :o

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 22:57:03 »
Bugger!  :o

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 09:30:14 »
It wasn't in the pond, but the border. I was planning on moving it into the pond, but I need to wait another week for the chlorine to evaporate.  :'(
gone to pot :D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 09:53:33 »
I didn't realise you could grow the lob.card. actually in the pond Aqui. I will get some more and put them in the pond, maybe that way they will survive.  I have a pot with Kafir lilies actually in the pond and they do very well.

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 17:13:30 »
Pat, did put my lobelia cardinalis in as a marginal and not right in the deep part of the pond  :D
Muddy Boots

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal