Author Topic: cherry tree from a stone?  (Read 1900 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
cherry tree from a stone?
« on: June 08, 2004, 10:00:02 »
I ate some of the most delicious cherries last night, grown locally and bought at the farm shop.

If I sowed them, what are the chances they'd grow? How long would it take before they fruit? Could I train them up the fence? (I have no more room for trees!)
gone to pot :D

Tenuse

• Acre
Re:cherry tree from a stone?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 14:33:03 »
Yes, they might grow, although it would probably take four or five years before they fruit.

The main concern would be however that if the tree was not grafted onto a restricted rootstock, you will end up with a gigantic tree, particularly as cherries are vigourous growers and it is only recently that rootstocks such as Pixie have allowed people to have trees small enough for the average suburban garden.

Get a bare-rooted maiden on a pixie or colt rootstock in the autumn and fan-train it against a wall instead!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 14:40:24 »
hmm. Maybe not then. I already have three trees in my 8mx8m garden!
gone to pot :D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 22:44:21 »
Tenuse, I got a sweet cherry on a Colt rootstock last year and started training it against a fence.  I left all the buds on and the main "truck" was covered in flowers and now "cherries" - should I have rubbed these buds off when they formed?

Can't seem to find any real info on fan training cherries.  Hope you or anyone else can help

Megan
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 09:38:16 »
I have a sweet cherry on a pixie rootstock which I am training as a pyramid (hopefully), I only planted it in the autumn and it produced one flower, from the junction with the main stem, which sounds similar to yours.

If this link works, it should tell you all you need to know about fan training!

http://www.which.net/gardeningwhich/advice/techniques/factsheets/cherrypruning.pdf

Cheers

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 21:41:12 »
thanks, Ten, that's great - explaions all I need to know - and what I've already done wrong!  Not too late to correct tho.

Megan
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal