Author Topic: Sucker?  (Read 1570 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Sucker?
« on: June 22, 2007, 16:28:14 »
This is a 'Seagull' rambling rose. Is this a sucker? The book only deals with suckers that come from the base, as you see, this comes a way up. There have been lots of these, and as they looked big and clumsy compared to the rest of the rose I've been tweaking them off. I'm begining to wonder if I should have done as some I've missed appear to have borne flowers. Does anyone know about this please?
Smile, it confuses people.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Sucker?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 16:43:35 »
I'm not an expert by any means but to me your plant is just doing what it is meant to do.............rambling!!

This bit of information might help you! http://tinyurl.com/2fu26j

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 16:45:04 »
Suckers only appear from the rootstock, that is below the graft union. Anything growing from a proper stem above that is meant to be there. If you have accidently allow a sucker to grow then any side shoots on that will be  briar as the sucker is.  These shoots are probably the replacement growths for next year. Train them in.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 16:45:17 »
Hello

Suckers are light green and their leaves usually look smaller than the cultivated variety. They will grow from beneath the graft (the bit where the shoots grow out of the root) and shouldn't be cut off try and pull the suckers off.

The Seagull rose is a A very vigorous Scrambler so i may be that its growing normally some of my roses have a a growth spurt and are shooting up long stems which i will prune in November when the rose is dormant

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 17:10:58 »
Thankyou all for prompt replies. A great help. I will have a better look at the base to see whether a sucker has been grown here in error. I can't say I like it much as it is spiteful! (and I would rather have a repeat flowerer) so I just might dig it up. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 17:36:10 »
I have to confess that in my opinion the best pruning tool for roses is Roundup!  ::)
Gardening is the great leveller.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 20:05:34 »
I do not know 'seagull' but I suspect that it flowers on old wood, if you keep cutting this years shoots, you will lessen next years flowers. Tie the shoots in and train them to grow where you want them to go.

queenfishface

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 20:13:34 »
Am I right in thinking that leaves on suckers are 7 part rather than 5 part - if you catch my drift?

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 20:38:39 »
Yes queenfishface
 rose suckers do have seven leaf's [light green in colour] as their come from the root stock below the graft, above the graft leaf's are normally five leaves and a darker green.
 Bob

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 21:33:37 »
Well, either way, looking at Emagggie's pic I wouldn't tackle that particular 'sucker' without a bullet-proof vest!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal