Author Topic: New allotment - advice on planting please.  (Read 1130 times)

jantruffle

• Not So New ...
New allotment - advice on planting please.
« on: June 19, 2007, 17:04:53 »
We have taken over an allotment which is in good condition.  We planted leeks, spring onions, cabbage, salad leaves, brussell sprouts and beans kindly donated to us.  I have just bought some bean seeds which I can plant out up until the end of this month. 
What else can I put in? 
Also does anyone know where I can get blue potatoes (the ones with lilac flesh)?  Looked on a few main sites and they say "not available" and unsure if this is time of year or just out of stock.
Also I have a huge rosemary bush in my garden which has gone leggy.  Is it possible to take cuttings from it and if so how do I do it and when?  I need to trim back as soon as possible as it has fallen over onto path but I would delay if it means I get a result from the cuttings.
Many thanks.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: New allotment - advice on planting please.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 17:41:25 »
totally wrong time for spuds so look again at the end of the year and either order then for feb/march delivery OR buy locally march time.

Im guessing on teh rosemary but take a cutting dip it in rooting powder/gel and put it in a pot!

Can sow carrots and sweetcorn if you are quick, beetroot, mooli, kohl rabi, anything really - now is a good time... even squashes and courgettes if you do them inside to get them going.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 17:48:23 »
we've just planted a row of dwarf french beans for a late crop  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 18:36:04 »
I am still sowing, and will still be sowing up until September, carrots, beetroot, spring onions, salad leaves, oriental greens or roots like mooli, kohl rabi, turnips, radish, french beans and peas.  You can also sow directly both sweetcorn and squash at the moment (incl cucumbers).

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 18:44:22 »
And sweet williams to flower late next spring, Icelandic poppies too and in a cold frame in October sweet peas ,cut flowers all next summer!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 18:50:03 »
Winter stuff, caulis, broc, onions, etc.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

jantruffle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:15:21 »
Fantastic response!  Thank you all very much.  I will be busy this weekend. :)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:19:57 »
Icelandic poppies too

Markfield Rover - I've never seen these. Will do a google later. Do you grow them? What is their germination rate as I have had no luck with Tibetan poppies and have been trying for years!!  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 13:27:33 »
Hi  Emmy, mine were from T&M ,( Chiltern's too I think). Germination okayish I start them off indoors around now, the seeds are very tiny
I managed to get 6 plants (last year) ,planted them out early autumn and wow from April and still going strong I
pick a dozen every other day only last 4/5 days in a vase (even when ends seared) but so lovely. I am going to collect some seed soon
do not think they are F1 , if you want to take a chance  I would gladly send saved seed to you  !These are the only poppies I can grow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal