Author Topic: Rhubarb or compost?  (Read 2011 times)

cazy

• Acre
Rhubarb or compost?
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:16:09 »
Ive inherited some rhubarb on my new plot.  It's on a corner, road one side, parking area the other and people keep reversing over it.  I want to move it and put my compost bins there instead.   ;D  When and how is the best time to do this?
got a lottie got a life

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: Rhubarb or compost?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:54:10 »
Best time to move any established plant is when it becomes dormant. That is to say, when it dies back to rest for the winter.

Dig a big enough hole where you want to move it to, and put some organic matter in the bottom before digging it up preferably.

You may find that you will have more than one crown, so you may be able to split it into several plants. Not sure if you will be able to harvest from it in the first year after moving it though. I know you're not supposed to harvest from new plants in the first year.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 22:45:00 »
Many thanks Quizzical, guess I'll just have to be patient.
Had a look today, 3 crowns, didn't look that big to me - not that I would know the difference - but wondered if I dug the whole crown up, trying not to disturb the root ball,  could I get a crop next year?  Need to pick your brains again.  If I attempt this, how wide do the roots spread and how deep, just to give me some idea how deep I need to dig the hole. 
got a lottie got a life

quizzical1

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 23:30:08 »
Can't help there sorry cazy. The only ones I've ever planted came in 5" pots. Never tried to move a mature one.

However, looking in my book, it shows them being planted 36" apart in each direction, and the holes they show dont look all that big.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 23:33:51 by quizzical1 »
Regards Alan.

powerspade

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 07:26:08 »
When I took on my plot I was faced with a similar probelm with my rhubarb. The plant I had was over 40 years old and lookedrather worst for wear.  I dug it up with great difficulty due to it size , and split it into 4 plants I left them alone for 2 years to regain their strength. The best time to move rhubarb is when the plant has died back and is a dormant state. I move mine around the beginning of December

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 07:45:28 »
If you move it this year (late autumn/early winter) you can't pick anything next spring. The choice is either: only move half and delay building your compost bins; or movit it all and miss a year's rhubarb.

quizzical1

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:18:26 »
My rhubarb plants, new this year, have pickable size stems on, probably due to the amount of rain we have had recently. Finding it very hard to resist pulling one or two from each plant, though I know I shouldn't. Love rhubarb crumble!!!!!!!!!!
Must not pull rhubarb this year.
Must not pull rhubarb this year...
Regards Alan.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 11:31:42 »
Must not pull rhubarb this year...

;D this is us too.... we moved our rhubarb last autumn and my DH keeps on staring longingly at it, it is looking a bit sad but there is definitely a few crumbles worth there. We did take about 5 stalks... could not resist!  :-[

David R

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 12:38:20 »
you wont be able to move it without disturbing the roots, they extend for metres :o

However, when you do move it (and invariably break the roots) DONT worry - they will be fine. DO split the crown, this will give the new plants a new lease of life and you will be rewarded with loads of stalks (but not the 1st year!).

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 12:45:10 »
Why not build your compost bins over the rhubarb?

Just dont use them till you move the rhubarb.

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 18:08:06 »
Rhubarb drought next year, :'(can't bear the thought of it.
Think I will try and move half of it in the winter so I still get a crop from the originals next year, then I can split the crowns with confidence for the following year. 
Will try the 'pretend' compost bin, good idea.  Thanks for all your help guys :)
got a lottie got a life

quizzical1

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 19:00:00 »
You could try filling a bucket with concrete and siting it on the corner of your plot. That would stop people driving over it.
Regards Alan.

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 19:23:28 »
Funny you should say that quizzical, I have just come up with the idea of asking if we can concrete a post in the corner, the chap next door has put bollards in because he used to have the same problem, not any more!
got a lottie got a life

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 20:10:43 »
I don't think there is any problem taking a few stalks from a new/transplanted plant but NEVER take them all, the plant needs to photosynthesise!!

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 08:56:04 »
photosynthesise!!
I wondered why you should leave them for a year but didn't like to ask.  It all makes sense now, and also why the leaves are so big.
got a lottie got a life

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal