Author Topic: Privet hedge cuttings - mulch ?  (Read 10169 times)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Privet hedge cuttings - mulch ?
« on: June 19, 2007, 07:41:37 »
I'm having dreadful trouble trying to find enough suitable material to mulch everywhere I want ....... between the plot and the lottie.

I can't for the life of me find a straw supplier in the area, I don't have enough home grown compost and despite all my requests, the grass cuttings have not yet arrived.  I've got stuff in the ground already so slinging weed suppressant fabric over them really isn't an option for those beds.

However, I do still have three HUGE privet hedges that badly need trimming now that the birdies seem to have vacated.

Question:  can I use the hedge trimmings as a mulch on the lottie ?

Thanking you muchly as always you lovely people.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
Re: Privet hedge cuttings - mulch ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:06:49 »
Well, all parts of the privet are poisonous especially the berries...

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:41:38 »
Rightly or wrongly, I used them around all my baby currant bushes last year (not shredded, but just normal hedge clippings), and they're very happy this year.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:52:51 »
I'm having dreadful trouble trying to find enough suitable material to mulch everywhere I want ....... between the plot and the lottie.

I can't for the life of me find a straw supplier in the area, I don't have enough home grown compost and despite all my requests, the grass cuttings have not yet arrived.  I've got stuff in the ground already so slinging weed suppressant fabric over them really isn't an option for those beds.

However, I do still have three HUGE privet hedges that badly need trimming now that the birdies seem to have vacated.

Question:  can I use the hedge trimmings as a mulch on the lottie ?

Thanking you muchly as always you lovely people.

;D

Call tree surgeons and see if you can get a delivery from one of them. Thats what we do.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 19:10:02 »
I put privet hedge trimmings on my paths.  Clippings root quite easily which can be a nuisance.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 19:26:54 »
Well, all parts of the privet are poisonous especially the berries...

Are they?? My lottie neighbour Dario advocates feeding privet leaves to his rabbits and they (apparently) like chewing on the stalks as well.

Somoene else told me that privet berries are a rich source of vitamin C and can be harvested and eaten.

Is there a conspiracy to kill me and my rabbits? Wouldn't surprise me  ::)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 19:31:49 »
Oh! And privet as mulch or weed suppressant:

Cut all my privet hedges in the avenues of the allotments and left the cuttings under them. Not a weed in sight where the cuttings fell!

Hope that helps X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 19:51:31 »
I must admit to being a bit worried about the poisonous bit as I was thinking of mulching over edibles !

Will google a bit more into that, but if the rabbits are surviving .......................  ;D

I've just turned out the smallest of the darlek compost bins tonight just to see exactly what I've got.  I've just spent the last 2 1/2 hours sieving and bagging and have half filled two 75ltr bags ......... mind you I can't carry either so home grown must be heavier than shop bought.  There's a bit left over that I just didn't have the energy or willpower to finish off and then another bigger bin to have a go at.

I really didn't think it would be this hard work.   :o

thanks for the tips folks !

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 20:41:06 »
Mrs KP

Do you have an 'urban' or city farm in your area?  If so, they would be worth trying as a source for bales of straw and also poo.

I was having trouble finding a decent source of straw til I remembered our very own Hounslow Urban Farm (right under the Heathrow flight path - sometimes they are so low you can count the rivets)  They sell me bales for £5 - thought that was a better deal than bags of bunny straw for £2.50

One thing the bales were much bigger up close than I was expecting.  I could only fit one in the back of the estate - could have managed two if I had put down the seats - Oh and it makes a serious mess in the car ::)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 21:16:05 »
I have already thought about the logistics of cramming a bale in the back of a Fiesta (not to mention the mess).  And having just spent an hour hoovering it out in preparation for mum coming up on Sunday for a visit, I'll do the sourcing now and carting about after she goes back lol.

Never heard of an urban farm around these here parts, but I'll certainly have a google and get out the yellow pages.  There are a few real farms not so far away but i've yet to pluck up the courage to go and find one and knock on the door !

Our local riding stables did have them but have now swapped in preference to hayledge or some such thing.

Cheers for the hint though luvvie, will go in search.

;D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 21:33:05 »
Mrs KP our local pet superstore sells bales of straw - doesn't get round the transport problem but is an inner city source. 

Another thought - have you access to a source of shreded paper?   :)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 04:03:18 »
I found two urban farms last night after I googled so I'm going to ring those today, but I do have an almost unlimited supply of shredded paper from the office.  Never thought about that really as I thought it would get all soggy !  (although I suppose that's the effect I'm after roflamo).  Will have a chat with the janitor today !

I've just woke myself up sneezing !  Bl00dy hayfever !     This is too early, even for me but I know I'll never get back to sleep now.  :-X

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 09:09:57 »
On the privet hedges, my uncle swears by putting privet hedge trimmings in water, and using as a kind of spray to deter aphids, you never see them on privets, do you?  Maybe the hedge as a mulch is a good idea?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 21:21:58 »
our council lets us take wood chippings free, we use them around the fruit bushes, trees and for paths  :)

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 16:18:11 »
Trixiebell - privet most certainly is poisonous, Dario must have an antidote

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal