Author Topic: Sowing hardy annuals - Now?  (Read 1687 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Sowing hardy annuals - Now?
« on: June 21, 2007, 10:00:30 »
Due to lack of time and space i have been unable to grow a bed of hardy annuals for cunning this year -so far. I have recently found myself with some spare ground and with no bedding plants either spare or suitable I was wondering about filling it with a few hardy annuals. Yes i know its very late for this but we have very mild autumns here and as i hate bare soil was wondering if it was worth trying?

Thanks

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Sowing hardy annuals - Now?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 12:50:48 »
I,ve sown larkspur just now and am still sowing sweetpeas to replace the early ones which sometimes get a bit mildewy,
marigolds might be okay.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 08:38:19 »
Ive got wall flowers and primulas on the go for next season. Looking great.

But i find that if you sow things like nigella , californian poppys etc now they will just flower this season. I find that i have to leave them until september to sow outside. but they do well and make really strong plants for early flowers next year. So just wait a bit longer.
 :-*

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 08:41:03 »
Had another thought!

Its a great time to sow biannuals such as hollyhocks , foxgloves, sweet william for flowers next year!

Happy sowing Sunloving

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 20:45:24 »
Thanks for replies. I was hoping for something to get flowering this summer. I have just sown some biennials in pots in the greenhouse for nexet summer. I kind of dont want something that will still be there over winter. i have other plans for the area come the autumn.

i too was thinking along the lines of calendula. I already have nigellas elsewhere in the garden (they grow like weeds!) I may also try cerinthe - another annual that does VERY wel in the garden and seems to germinate and grow at any time of year.

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 07:58:29 »
Okay getting the point now!

I'm currently growing seedlings of late flowering hardys such as the annual rudbekias, nicotianas,  which flower until the first frost. Late nastursiums avoid the onslaught from butterflies and as you said calendula would grow fast as do other marigolds, and pansys. I'm also trying out late ruby flax helichrysums and  linnaria.

good luck
sunloving

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 11:19:14 »
I was recently sent the Sarah Ravens cutting garden brochure, and she helpfully lists some annuals that she sows now for a show lasting from mid to late summer until the frosts.

So I have shamelessly copied some of her suggestions (but either used seeds I already had, or got some cheapies on eBay), and have sown some more short multistemmed sunflowers, snapdragons, zinnias and some art shades calendulas. I've also sown some biennials: chocolate hollyhocks and wallflowers (from Barnsdale seed swop thank you!).

There were lots more suggestions, it might be worth sending off for a copy! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal