Author Topic: Stupid question about child proof Tomorite bottle caps  (Read 11870 times)

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
Stupid question about child proof Tomorite bottle caps
« on: June 18, 2007, 18:07:45 »
Really stupid question, but is there a trick to opening the plastic bottle of Levington Tomorite???

I mean, the caps are supposed to be child-proof, but... the bottle I have is adult-proof as well, or at least THIS adult is unable to open it! No amount of pushing downwards and twisting seems to work. I'm at a loss. I always used to use Homebase's Tomorite before this and never had a problem with their child-proof caps....

Any suggestions, before I take a hammer and chisel to it?  ???

vegwomble

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Stupid question about child proof Tomorite bottle caps
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 18:38:23 »
Sorry, can't help but can sympathise! Even at 31, my hands are too stiff & sore for me to manage most "child" proof caps! My 19 month daughter can probably get it open for you, if you're stuck!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 18:58:24 »
Ask a child to help you ... ...  they always know how to open these things.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 18:58:35 »
I've had that problem too. Best to put in down, do something else, then go back squeeze hard where your mean't to and turn. Any luck??

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 06:36:40 »
I've tried everything and just got sore fingers. Either I have a dud bottle, or Levington have totally outwitted me.  :'(

I'm going to use a little saw next....

vegwomble

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 07:35:05 »
Just a thought but some shild proof caps you have to squeeze opposite sides together then twist  :)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 13:27:51 »
No joy. I've even enlisted OH's help, to no avail.

:P

This gardening stuff is hard!!!! ;)

veg

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 14:57:18 »
VW I would have had a large hole punched in that lid by now, being the impatient type! hehehehe ;D ;D  Childproof things drive me mad, whilst I see a need for it in some areas, in others it drives me to distraction......and my arthritic Mum even more so! ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 16:12:06 »
Can you post a picture of the bottle ? We may spot something you have missed  ;)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 18:52:47 »
Does it have one of those peel off strips that have to come off first
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:04:30 »
I had a similar problem about a year ago with a bottle of baby bio I bought for my houseplants.  The cap itself did come off eventually, but the nozzle that was supposed to remain in the top of the bottle was jammed into the cap.  This made adding drips to the water nigh on impossible, and instead the fertilizer poured out.

The reason I am telling you this is that I managed to get a replacement bottle.  There was a customer support telephone number on the bottle, and when I called the number and explained my situation, they posted me a brand new bottle!

This way you can use the new bottle (assuming it can be opened of course), and when it is finished you can maybe hack the lid off the old bottle and pour the contents into the working bottle.

Im not usually a fan of 'complaining', but in this case it was worth doing.  Im sure that baby bio appreciated the feedback also.  I noticed recently they have a new bottle design!

Worth a try if you think the bottle is defective.
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 10:12:44 »
Good idea JJ. I'm with Doris and would have whacked it off the worktop or something by now.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

David R

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 13:57:51 »
turn bottle upside down, make tiny hole with sharp implement, decant into clean platic drink/milk bottle. Then take back to the shop and get a refund demonstating an empty unopened bottle ;D

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 09:58:04 »
I sometimes have huge problems with getting tops of almost anything & have been known to 'nab the postman to try for me' but once had a plastic milk bottle and just couldn't get the top off no matter what I used or tried....took bottle back to waitrose (where I bought it) and they replaced it!

but guess that's not always possible for some people especially with garden products which may have been bought well away from home

sooooooooo frustrating tho whatever it might be ???

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 11:03:58 »
I have every sympathy with you guys I really struggle to open child proof containers and the worst part is Im a nurse and have to try and dispense tablets from these containers up to three times a day I have been known to ask all sorts of people for assistance and I can tell you I look a right muppet plus not very professional to let forth a stream of obscenities as you try either ha ha  :P

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 15:56:00 »
How are you getting on VW? Opened the blooming thing yet, or smashed it into little pieces in frustration?!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 14:57:12 »
Haven't managed to open it yet but frankly the past few days I've been too busy to try and get a hammer and chisel out. ;) It looks like an ordinary bottle, no peel-off strips or anything so I suspect that something IS wrong with the cap somewhere. I'll check tonight to see if there is a number I can call, and then maybe Levington might be kind enough to send me a replacement!! :D

I bought this bottle from Homebase ages ago and I no longer have the receipt so I doubt they'd give me a replacement.

Or I might just borrow a drill from someone, drill a hole into the cap and then decant the entire bottle into a glass jar...

vw

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 20:05:43 »
Well I gave up trying to work it out.

Hammered at the cap with a blunt screwdriver until I had made a nice hole. When all else fails, brute force usually works!!!  :P

vw

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 22:03:14 »
Hurrah! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal