Author Topic: Pea protection (dumb Q sorry!)  (Read 1007 times)

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
Pea protection (dumb Q sorry!)
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:24:56 »
I have peas in my greenhouse (about an inch high so giving them a few more days before transplanting) and also some sown directly which are a bit smaller, but seem to have just a stalk and no foliage....have they been got at by a pest and if so how do I protect them? Or are they jsut growing that way? I know this sounds daft, but I have tried to net them, but can't work out how the hell to do it and none of my neighbouring plots have bothered?!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Pea protection (dumb Q sorry!)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:39:38 »
I can't remember what they look like when they first come out of the ground, but I know that pigeons LOVE them when they are at that stage.  You say they are in the GH, is it possible for the skyrats to walk in and help themselves?  Can you put some wire over them?  The other possibility is slugs and/or snails, who like anything young and tasty.   >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:42:48 »
:) Hi

the peas I sowed direct I protected with clear plastic bottles with the bottom cut off, it was a tip I read on this site,

apparently pigeons can be a problem with the young seedlings, as well as the slugs.

it works for me  ;)

Life is to short !!!

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:57:29 »
The ones in the greenhouse are FINE, I dread putting them out tho, tempted to keep them in the garden but spend ages putting canes up for them so refuse  ;D

Good idea re the plastic bottles I may move the canes then and put them back when they are a bit bigger perhaps?

Thanks ever so
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:04:25 by BarbaraGood »

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 12:26:58 »
Young peas can come under severe attack from slugs, snails, mice and pigeons amoungst others. It is probably best to keep your seedlings under cover until 3-4 inches high before planting out. Give ongoing protection with sticks or netting. Slugs will be very active at the moment after so much rain but once the pea plants start to gain height they seem to suffer much less.

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 22:40:36 »
Do you know anyone who works for the waterboard or a friendly builder?  See if you can scrounge some offcuts of blue plastic waterpipe 4' to 5' pieces will do fine, just bend them over your pea rows about 3' apart then drape your net over the pipes covering your peas. I use pieces of timber to hold down the net edges but soil will do fine. Once the plants have grown a foot or so you can take down the net as they seem to be able to hold their own.
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 11:40:24 »
fabulous ideas :) I will see if my brothe r( joiner on a building site at the moment) can grab any goodies for me!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal