Author Topic: Crop Rotation question  (Read 988 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Crop Rotation question
« on: June 18, 2007, 10:24:08 »
I hope that one of my learned allotment colleagues could give me some advise please. 

I would like to know how I would rotate my onion bed.  In the autumn last year I had garlic and red and white onion sets in - I am now lifting the onions and garlic and want to know 0 can I only plant the onion family e.g. leeks etc in this bed until the end of the season or can I use it to plant corn, celery, etc.  Must the rotation be for the entire season?  Also, what crop is best after onions in the rotation scheme of things??

Thanks in advance for all replies

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Crop Rotation question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:42:24 »
Rotation is rotation. No need to be an annual event, just remember the prime reason for doing it is to prevent buildup of plant specific disease. On allotments, crop rotation can be quite tricky to do in its purest form if maximum production is required.

I do not believe in leaving land fallow and prefer intensive cropping with plenty of added manure. Once my onions, shallots and garlic are all harvested, the space will be re-used for tomatos, peppers and any other odds and ends that will produce during the summer yet free the land for digging during the winter. The secret is to ensure that all plants in the section will be finished at roughly the same time to enable further usage.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Re: Crop Rotation question
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 13:18:04 »
Thanks Eristic

That answers my question.  I only have 5 rods so need to make use of all my land to its maximum - especially when I have a potatoe patch (virgin land) that takes up half the space and three fruit trees - quite challenging to get the most out of the area that is available to grow on.  Currently I am sowing into cells my swiss chard, turnips, swedes to make up for the lack of space and once I lift potoates, I will start popping things in.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal