Author Topic: Spring caulis  (Read 916 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Spring caulis
« on: June 18, 2007, 13:12:33 »
Never tried growing caulis over winter. Anyone got any tips or recommended varieties.

G

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Spring caulis
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 13:24:24 »
April is a good one, or Mayflower. For years I grew St George (guess when that flowers?!) but I think it's discontinued. If so, you might find it in the HDRA seed library.

They're fairly easy to grow (although you do have to net them against pigeons). Just follow the instructions on the packet. I usually plant them where I've grown 2nd early potatoes (leeks follow the earlies); dig it over, lime it, tamp it down well & put the plants in.  They are a good crop because they come at a time when there's little else. And they're out of the ground just in time to plant any of the tender summer stuff, like courgettes or sweetcorn.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 15:09:44 »
Glow, I have seeds of  several late caulis, They are all new to me but I can share a few seeds if you want to have ago.

Autumn Giant
Galleon.
Lateman
Belot.
Snow March
Maystar
Avalanche

They are all different maturity dates.

I also have April but mine is a cabbage!, so there no doubt is 2 like most things!

PM me if you need.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 17:01:04 »
i always grow leaminton they grow quite tall and take a long time but it,s lovely getting a cauli in march
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal