Author Topic: A real fright!  (Read 2553 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
A real fright!
« on: June 07, 2004, 16:26:02 »
Our cat Sooty has given us a real and proper scare today. In fact we nearly lost her (could still do so) due to a bad attack of heatstroke.

She had been fine during the morning, then at lunch time had disapeared. She was found in quite a bad way in the front garden, desperately seeking shade, and panting something chronic. Thanks to Dads' quick thinking we managed to cool her down with water, which I am sure saved her life, but all was still not well and was having 'toilet' troubles in a way reminicent of another cat we had at the end of its life. We realy thought this was the end, and took her over to the vets fearing the worst diagnosis.

Happily things were not as drastic as first imagined and the condition was treatable - for now. The vet gave sooty an injection to help the symptoms and presribed some medicines to treat her with at home.

I have had to stay in to look after her and am having to keep the cat in while the weather is so warm.  Good news is she is looking a lot better, and is a little frustrated at not being able to go out.  Still not out of the woods yet but we are hopefull.

This just serves as a warning of the dangers of heat to our pets.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:A real fright!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 16:38:14 »
Knowing what it meant to lose mine, I have every sympathy with you Richard, get yourself a water feature with trickling water quick, they love to drink from it!
Muddy Boots

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 11:01:17 »
Richard I hope Sooty's ok today. big hugs to both of you.
gone to pot :D

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 13:14:42 »
How is Sooty today?

Now I'm worried.
I left one of my boys outside today as he loves the garden and will not stay in the house. Hopefully he will be OK as he has the parasol up over the garden table, loads of shady places in the garden borders, running water in a garden feature and a large bowl of fresh water.
Granny is still your best friend !

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 14:11:05 »
Thanks to all who have posted replies asking after Sooty.

I am pleased to report that Sooty is now virtualy back to her old self again. She has made a brilliant recovery under the circumstances.  We have of course been keeping a close eye on her and have been restricting her movements a bit so she cant get into trouble.  The cooler temperatures today are helping greatly, and have been able to allow her more freedom.

Thing is now she seems to be playing the invalid 'trick' to the hilt. Just after she was ill we gave her some nice fish to eat instead of her normal food, just realy to get her to eat again and build up her strength again. Now she expects it every mealtime instead of her normal food!  Refused point blank to have her supper last night because it wasnt fish. Didnt give in either and came downstairs this morning to find all the catfood eaten - so it was a right try-on.

Still having to keep an eye on her a bit, making sure she stays cool and has plenty of water to drink (of course like the proverbial horse you cant make a cat drink!).

Thanks again

Richard

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 15:13:39 »
Great news Richard, so glad Sooty is now better. My old boy was fine when I got home yesterday afternoon and has been left out again todayas it is much cooler.
Granny is still your best friend !

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 22:33:00 »
Wow. What a shock for you.  I thought cats were the sensible ones.  My dogs (currently cat-less) seem to spend some time sunbathing and some time hiding in the shade.  When it gets too hot they dive into my wildlife pond and stir up the mud and tadpoles!  Glad Sooty's well enough to play on your sympathy!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 22:42:55 »
For all her apparent 'brains' Sooty can be a bit daft sometimes. She doesnt have to stay out and is free to in and out as she pleases yet she will frequently sit out in the rain and get soaked for no reason, then moan when she does decide to come in because shes wet!  ::)

Oh well i suppose its a sign of well being. We'd worry if she didnt have such daft 'moments'

Thanks to 'Feet of Clay' for reply

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal