Author Topic: Eastleigh - have lost  (Read 6082 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Eastleigh - have lost
« on: June 25, 2007, 19:03:23 »
Just heard on Radio 4 news - Eastleigh have lost high court battle to stop council from selling off the allotment site  :(
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Eastleigh - have lost
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 19:13:30 »
Yes, doesn't bode well for future appeals, does it? :( Can't find it on the bbc site but glad it at least made the national news.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 20:44:33 »
I heard it on the News too.... Grrrrrrrr.....  >:(

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 20:45:22 »
Bad news for us too, Beastly Eastleigh is our next town ...  >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 20:48:56 »
Why can't they build the houses on the land where the new allotments will be?
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 20:56:03 »
My thoughts exactly  >:( >:(   We were talking of this this evening.  Property developers only see the land and the ££££££ signs in their disgusting little brains.  The fact that the land they see is allotments is no different from land that is a rubbish tip.  They only see the land and how much money it will generate for themselves.  In fact their mentality is the same as burglars, thieves and pickpockets.  They have no concept of how the victim feels.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 17:38:47 »
My thoughts exactly  >:( >:(   We were talking of this this evening.  Property developers only see the land and the ££££££ signs in their disgusting little brains.  The fact that the land they see is allotments is no different from land that is a rubbish tip.  They only see the land and how much money it will generate for themselves.  In fact their mentality is the same as burglars, thieves and pickpockets.  They have no concept of how the victim feels.

This doesn't seem to be unbridled development, though, does it?  In fact, the redeployment of the allotments is entirely motivated by Eastleigh Council's desire to increase "affordable housing" in line with government strategy.

Organisations like Atlantic Housing are trusts, and although they no doubt pay themselves well, they're very similar to non-profit making agencies.

The developers, such as Barratt, are contracted to build the houses to the housing trusts' specifications, so they're not speculators, merely contractors.  I'm sure they make a profit, but it won't be enormous.

So I don't think you can point the finger at Big Money here.  It seems to be far more to do with social policies, and an inadequate weight (as we would see it) being given to the preservation of green spaces and allotment communities.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 18:42:03 »
True, yes, in the case I'd agree.  But there are other places where social housing can be placed.  By moving allotments they are sending out the message that growing fruit and veg is a transient occupation, that can be picked up and dropped at a moment's notice, and can be done anywhere - just needs a bit of land, prod it with a fork and bobs your uncle.  The message that any old field will do and allotmenteers should be grateful for what they've been given, after all they pay very little in rent. 

It takes years to build up an allotment, especially if planting permanent plants such as trees and asparagus as we well know.  I think that general ignorance of people as to where food comes from and how it is produced influences decisions made.
The Tuscan Beaneater

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 22:02:25 »
I don't get who would want to live in "affordable" housing. The reason it's affordable is because it is not as nice as "unaffordable" housing. Otherwise, within a few years it will become unaffordable.

If we (as a country) focused on creating employment opportunities in "less affluent" (a lazy but succinct term) parts of the UK, things could surely balance out.

Why not pay "essential" people a fair & proportionate wage rather than make them live in rubbish houses?

I think we should all be worried about GB saying he's going to sort out housing.

Oh, sorry for the mild rant.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 14:00:07 »
I don't get who would want to live in "affordable" housing. The reason it's affordable is because it is not as nice as "unaffordable" housing.

Indeed. I however would rather own my own 'affordable' house than remain in rented property for the rest of my life because the property ladder is missing the first ten rungs.

Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

slimpaul

• Half Acre
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 20:57:10 »
Hi all,

As an allotment holder of Monks Way in Eastleigh I thought you may be informed of some extracts from our local Co-operative association news letter received today,

High Court ruling re disposal of South Street and Monks Way not to be appealed.

" We can expect the council to waste no time in serving the three months' notice to quit on all remaining South Street and Monks Way plot-holders, who are likely to be required to vacate their plots by early October, "

Amateur Gardening magazine, The 16th July issue will carry an article and photographs about the campaign and the High Court ruling.

Channel 4 " The Insider " programme , " They were genuinely upset and angered by the High Court decision. A programme is now being put together and will be transmitted some time in August.

Press statement.

Following last Monday's refusal by the
high Court to proceed to judicial review, Eastleigh allotment holder Marian Hatt has, in consultation with her legal advisors and the local allotments association, decided not to appeal the decision.

In summing up Mr Justice Calvert Smith told a packed courtroom that he had "great sympathy" with two of Mrs Hatt's Grounds of Claim, which sought to challenge the Secretary of State's decision to grant consent for the sale of hundreds of allotment plots in Eastleigh, Hampshire. Justice Calvert Smith also stressed that he could see a "looming crisis" in waiting lists for allotments in Eastleigh, if the council persists with it's plans to dispose of the Woodside site. In spite of these real concerns, he considered that mrs Marian Hatt had "no arguable case" and therefore refused permission to proceed to Judicial Review.

Despite feelings of real injustice, Mrs Hatt and her fellow plot-holders will now have to leave their cherished plots, as the largest allotment site in Eastleigh and a smaller adjoining site are sold by the council to developers for a considerable sum of money.In accepting defeat and the loss of her allotment , she said, "If my efforts have helped to raise awareness of the risks to allotments elsewhere in the Country, it will have been worthwhile".

The hearing on Monday 25th June 2007 was a permission hearing for Judicial review of Ruth Kelly's consent to disposal of two of the three threatened allotment sites in Eastleigh, and was brought by one of the affected allotment holders, Mrs Marian Hatt, who has worked her plots at the South Street site for over 25 Years.

In reply to above post , they offered new sites which are totally inadequate for use, ie poor drainage, sub standard soil, on top of a gas main pipe!! and  next to the M27 motorway. And tucked away in a corner plot in the shade of large trees. ( minimal sunlight ).
The main site aquirred affords good views over Eastleigh's Lakeside area, which includes the lakes ans miniature steam railway, therefore not affordable housing but sold on as premium location.

Regards

Terry

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 21:13:15 »
It sucks  >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 22:28:32 »
Where's Swampy when he's needed.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 10:47:42 »
Where's Swampy when he's needed.

Yeah, what happened to him anyway? Probably got a job in the city and got married and bought a house in the 'burbs.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 10:57:53 »
He probably commutes daily on the Newbury Bypass, and remembers what hell it used to be driving through the town  ??? ??? ??? ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

arphamoe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 20:23:15 »
 >:( >:( >:(It may be too late for Eastleigh but there's a petition on http.petitions.pm.gov/allotsave. It calls for govt to stop local autghorities selling off allotments. At last count, over 8,500 signatures!! I've signed it - many more will when they know about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal