Author Topic: marginals?  (Read 2634 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
marginals?
« on: June 06, 2004, 22:44:24 »
Went to our local pond shop over the weekend and noticed that they had cannas in aquatic pots in the water as marginal plants.  Didn't know this...thought they were long hot tropical dry type plants.  Can someone tell me if this is okay as I grew some from seed and they are gorgeous with deep red leaves and would look great in the pond......or is there a specific type that has webbed feet?

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:marginals?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 15:44:45 »
Nothing in my books says anything about aquatic cannas, Emma but, given that hostas are amazing at surviving both in very dry and very wet conditions, assume what you saw in the garden centre have been cultivated to deal with it.  Also, there was a recent question about lobelia cardinalis, the red one with purple leaves, being suitable for a a marginal.  Was interested to see Marg's reply, advising against it as a marginal as I had used it as such in my pond with no probs.  However, I can only assume it is the variation in temperature in different parts of the country.  Being in the South East, a little more south than you are, can only assume better shelter than where Marg is on Lincs/Cambs border.

If it were me, I think, having raised a few cannas, I would gently try to aclimatise one or two to experiment.  After all, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and you are nothing if not intrepid!  Go for it and get your own answer then, next time question comes up, you will have an answer!  :D
Muddy Boots

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal