Author Topic: Lettuce doesnt seem to be bulbing...  (Read 731 times)

theamatteurgardener

• Not So New ...
    • the.amatteur.gardener
Lettuce doesnt seem to be bulbing...
« on: June 14, 2007, 19:58:58 »
Good evening everyone.

Im a very new gardener, (more about that here: http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=32709.msg325896#new), and my lettuce and rocket plants are looking very healthy (leafwise) but i have a question about the plants in general.

The picture above shows them as of tonight. They were planted around 5 weeks ago, many seeds, in the seed trays shown, and i have now planted some out into the ground. After reading around, it seems i should have a least put them outside for a bit before planting them, but alas we live and learn!

Anyway, my question is why is/has the lettuce not 'bulbed up?' The leaves are fine and tasty, but the plants dont really look like lettuce as i think of it. It is the 'clarion' variety (from fothergills).

This weekend i think i will plant some more, but this time be more logical about sowing the seeds, first of all in a tray, then transfer to trays like the ones my peppers are currently in (see here: http://theamatteurgardener.blogspot.com/) - i suspect the problem is caused by leaving the seedlings close together for too long?

Thanks for reading!

Matt

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Lettuce doesnt seem to be bulbing...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 20:18:44 »
Those are just drawn up seedlings.  We are only just cutting our 26 April sown plants.

Give them room & time & they'll be OK.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 20:39:58 »
they look fine! Mine were sown april time and are just ready now!  The loose leaf are much quicker though and i find less prone to slugs and bugs!

theamatteurgardener

• Not So New ...
    • the.amatteur.gardener
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 22:36:56 »
Ah right, excellent!

I'm pleased I've not spoiled them. I'll still do another sowing this weekend as I've planted a lot in the ground at home (my parents house) but I'm moving out on July 1st and can't take them with me!

I think I'll try some other varieties too, as its the spice of live n'all.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal