Author Topic: peas and pigeons  (Read 2384 times)

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
peas and pigeons
« on: June 06, 2004, 22:42:42 »
I've only just got my allotment so are late with everything. I sowed some peas a week or so back (mange tout) in module trays as we hadn't got the soil ready. They are now in my back garden about 2 inch tall waiting to go out once they are a little bigger for easier handling.
What has disturbed me is I never realised how attractive they are to pigeons. these are in trays under chicken wire in a confined space with cats all round and yet the pigeons are still trying to get them.  Our allotment is full of pigeons-they are everywhere.
I have set up two 20 foot rows of pea nettting for my peas to scramble up but certainly at the 2 inch stage everything seems to want to eat them!  If I hold back planting them out until they are say 6 inch will they have a better chance of not being scoffed? or have i got to plant them and then cover them in nets? (not very keen on net, seems to tangle at every given oppertunity) Do any bird scarers actually work? Lots of people have compact disks hanging up but do they really take any notice? or is it a sign that soemthing decent is on the menu!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:peas and pigeons
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 22:50:51 »
Rotten pigeons!  They made a meal of mine back in the early spring as my first lot emerged.  Didn't stand a chance, and I had used lots of very spikey twigs, to keep the birds of (oh yeah...righto...!) and for the peas to climb up.  Ended up sowing a second batch and using netting over the twigs.  Still the blighters barge headlong into the net and graze, but mostly they seemed to have survived, especially now there is more on offer with peeps brassicas out and about.  My third lot were unprotected except for some CD's flapping in the wind, and they have gone untouched.  Now I don't know if this is thanks to the cd's or because it is later and the pigeons aren't quite so hungry now.  So, could swing either way, you are either providing lovely tender plants that they will scoff, or they have soooooo much to choose from on your plot, they will leave them well alone.  Therefore, I am no help whatsoever!  ;D ;D

At least you are only dealing with pigeons....we have deer, moorhens, squirrels, mice, moles and the darn pigeons knicked anything that isn't covered!  :-\

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 23:14:55 »
Try to hire a hawk and your problem melts away ,now serious we have some big birds of prey hawks and a couple of buzzards around ouwer allotment and there is here no sign of pigeons.We have got crows!!!!!!!!!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 06:30:00 »
Once again - fleece?? No tangle. = Tim

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 09:33:59 »
Thanks guys, I am stunned by the speed of these birds as I have never seen a pigeon in my garden before and their determination has to be seen to be believed!
Will they go 'off' them as the plants get a bit bigger?

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 09:42:05 »
They are hell bent on making sure that they don't get any bigger!!

Large plants are no obsticles, they can shred full sized greens!!

The only thing that will keep them away, short of a physical barrier, is something more attractive elsewhere

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 09:50:16 »
Would pigeons eat sweet peas too? My have virtually vanished and we get a lot of wood pigeons.
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal