Author Topic: Abandoned cockerel !!!!  (Read 3871 times)

broad beannie

• Not So New ...
Abandoned cockerel !!!!
« on: June 14, 2007, 10:33:52 »
Hi there, two days ago my husband found a scraggy looking cockerel at the entrance to our yard. We have tried to find the owners but no joy. We were going to take it to a local lady who breeds birds but were advised that she would more than likely kill it as it was so poor. We are thinking of getting him some female company as he seems quite happy in our stable. Any advice on what sort to get that are easy to look after and eggs would be nice !!!  Thanks.................Tracey
Live for today

Marian

• Quarter Acre
  • Thank God for my garden !
Re: Abandoned cockerel !!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 13:41:57 »
Hello Broad Beanie.  Well done to you and your husband for not taking this lovely bird to be killed and giving him a good life.  Any cockerel would be OK.  I suppose any other bird would be company for him too, i.e. love birds, budgies, etc.  All you need to do is build them an aviary - outside or in.  It is nice to see people going out of their way for animals.  Well done!  ;D ;)

alan42

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 15:33:21 »
do not follow the above advide a cockrel will only be happy with hens not other cocks as they can and often do fight to the death it doesent matter what type of hens you get as long as there the same size as him if hes large get large hens if hes a banty get banty hens, do not put budgies ect in with him he will if he can kill them and certain desieses can be spread.
good luck
alan
Middlesbrough, non organic.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 16:50:36 »
Cocks kill each other if put together, hence cockfighting. Get some hens.

broad beannie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 17:18:55 »
Thanks for all your advice. We actually went out this afternoon and bought 3 chickens. Have put them in the stable with him and  they all seem to be getting on fine except one of the hens keeps pecking his face. Is this grooming ?? There doesn't seem to be any aggression.
Husband and son now building an enclosure for them which is going in my allotment!!!!
I have said that this enclosure is big enough for the teenage boys to move in to !!!!
Live for today

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 19:55:20 »
I'm sorry, I have an issue with the suggestion or implication that killing an animal is always cruel. Death isn't a nice concept, but it happens to everything sooner or later, and as humans invented morals and ethics (or for the religious, were given them by a higher being), we have a duty to live according to them.

It is very easy to ring a chicken's neck, and the chicken shows no sign of distress if done correctly. It's certainly a lot more humane than ignorantly locking up 2 cockerels together - that sounds like animal lib claptrap to me.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 13:32:40 »
Congratulations on getting the hens, keep an eye on the cockrell he may be just under feed but treat him for worms and lice to be on the safe side.
The hen pecking his face will most likey be the top hen in the pecking order and she is just telling him so. Nothing to worry about they have strange ways.
On the lottie make sure the chicken wire is sank into the ground deep enough so nothing can dig underneath to get them.
good luck with your new family you could keep the hens at home and put the boys down there  ;D ;D ;D

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 21:39:34 »
I just wanted to say that i think its great you have taken the cockeral in. i hope he is enjoying his new life.  i think ollie is wrong.. i wonder if he could show signs of distress with someone pulling his head off.. 

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 22:19:49 »
Ha! Good point PHILMT. No, I would struggle, as my head would be hanging off... And it is good that this animal is being looked after & cared for. But I would prefer to be decapitated than half-starved and then locked up with someone stronger & healthier than me who could peck out my eyes then rip me to shreds.

I grew up with chickens, ducks & geese, and the reason I don't have them now is that I don't like killing anything (not even slugs). All of our animals died "in debt". This animal is a pet - so is my cat and so are my fish. But I would be prepared to kill something rather than see it suffer, and my ignorance would certainly not extend to locking it up with an animal that will fight it to death. That's all...

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 22:32:32 »
Well done you ,how kind to  give him a chance,why bump him off if he just needs a bit of TLC, I think it was great that you came on here to ask how to get him the right kind of friends. If it turns out after a while that he is old and ailing I feel sure you will do the right thing by him when there is no other option,you certainly sound like very responsible caring folk.

Good luck with your new family, if the pecking hen gives him a hard time for a while but  barrier in so he can get a bit of peace to get strong again,he will soon sort her out.

You have made my day !!

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

broad beannie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 10:48:25 »
Thanks to all who replied to my posting. The birds are now in their new home after my husband and son took 2 days to build it !!! They seem to have settled in lovely and hopefully we might even have some eggs soon !!
Live for today

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 10:56:27 »
Great news, I wish you well with them and they lay lots of eggs for you. Can you post a photo of them?

broad beannie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 11:05:54 »
Yeh sure , will get a photo posted asap
Live for today

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal