Author Topic: Asparagus - what do i do???  (Read 920 times)

lottie_lou

• Not So New ...
Asparagus - what do i do???
« on: June 14, 2007, 14:24:20 »
I have just been given 5 one year old crowns of asparagus and i have no clue what to do!!!  any ideas/suggestions would be fab!!

We have managed to dig out two good sized little plots from our massive mess of a plot and it is getting exciting!!

thanks

;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Asparagus - what do i do???
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 15:10:24 »
Hi Lotty Lou,

I am sure that you will see lots of helpful advice if you use the search function on here or google it. But What i would suggest is that you pot the 5 crowns up in nice big pots. Its going to take a while to get an asparagus bed ready.

They are in the ground for a long time and are hungry.

You need to dig a big deep hole, and it need to be filled with layers of well rotted manure and sand and compost. Plant the crowns onto and into compost. Mark the crown with a bambo steak so you know where you planted them in the future. You will get a crop in 2 years :-)

cambourne7

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Asparagus - what do i do???
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 16:07:43 »
Once they're in the ground keep the bed completely free of weeds.  You will get spears next year, but DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO PICK THEM!!!!  The plants need to build up strength and you can can have a light picking the year after.

This site gives some good advice, and loads of information http://www.asparagus.org/maab/homeGarden.html?id=771.

Good luck - it's a long-term relationship, if you treat them right they'll reward you more and more each year  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal